Committee of Adjustment/Sign Variance Committee
The January 20, 2021 Committee of Adjustment meeting has been CANCELED due to unforeseen circumstances.
The applications scheduled for the January 20, 2021 Committee of Adjustment meeting will now be heard on February 3, 2021.
The Committee of Adjustment is a group of five Council appointed members of the public who decide on possible variances from municipal by-laws. Their powers are specified in the Planning Act.
The Committee of Adjustment typically meets every two weeks to consider applications that have been submitted to the City for variance, such as:
- Minor variances from provisions of the Zoning By-law
- Extension, enlargements or changes to existing non-conforming uses under the Zoning By-law
- Determining whether a particular use conforms with the provisions of the Zoning by-law where the uses of land, building or structures permitted in the by-law are defined in general terms
- For more information see Sections 45(1) and 45(2) of the Planning Act
The members of the Committee of Adjustment are also appointed by Council to be members of the City’s Sign Variance Committee which consider variances to the City’s Sign By-law.
Term of Office
- The Committee members’ term of office is the same as the term of Council that appointed them and continues until the newly elected Council appoints a new Committee of Adjustment
- If a member leaves before their term ends, Council will appoint another person for the remainder of the term.
- A Council member appointed to the Committee will be appointed annually and remain a member until their successor is appointed.