COVID-19 Update October 27, 2020: Memberships
Three options are available to members who have not yet activated their membership:
Members can reactivate their membership and return to City pools and fitness facilities. They can credit their membership, and the unused amount will be applied to their account as a credit to be used at a later date towards any recreation program. Members may also choose to have their membership refunded, and the unused amount will be returned to them. If the refund amount is less than $25.00 they will be eligible for a credit only.
You can discuss these options with City staff by contacting the recreation centre or pool directly. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 311.
Municipal Pools Re-opening Schedule
The schedule for reopening municipal public pools is as follows:
- Howard Armstrong Recreation Centre pool will reopen to the public on September 8
- Nickel District will reopen September 10
- R.G. Dow and Onaping will reopen September 14
- Gatchell Pool will open on September 28
In addition to established provincial and public health guidelines for the operation of indoor pools, reopening plans will also follow the key recommendations put in place by the Lifesaving Society Ontario. New protocols will include, but are not limited to:
- No drop-in participation. All users must register for an available timeslot for recreational swims through the online registration system at www.greatersudbury.ca/leisure or by calling the 311.
- Timeslots have been scheduled to accommodate cleaning requirements throughout the day.
- Swimming lesson offerings will be phased in throughout the fall once facilities open. A limited number of lessons will be available.
- Program locations and start times will be staggered to allow for proper disinfecting of high-touch areas.
- Diving boards, saunas, hot tubs, lockers and shared pool equipment, such as flutter boards, will not be available. Showers are available for rinse off only.
- Participants are encouraged to attend the facility dressed in pool attire.
- Staff will monitor usage and adjust schedules as required.
- More site specific information will be provided at the facility.
Bookings will be accepted up to 7 days in advance. Please note that this includes the actual time of day. For example, if you are looking to book a timeslot for 1 p.m. on a Monday, you are able to book it as of 1 p.m. the Monday prior.
See programs offered at Gatchell Pool, located in Greater Sudbury’s West End.
See programs offered at the Howard Armstrong Recreation Centre Pool, located in Hanmer.
See programs offered at Nickel District Pool, located in New Sudbury.
See programs offered at Onaping Pool, located in Onaping.
See when we are closed for the holidays.
Learn more about our pool policies, rules and guidelines.
There’s a new way to register for leisure programs or book a facility. It’s easy to create an account! If you need help getting started, click here for our Frequently Asked Questions.
The French interface of our new registration system is still under development, however it is important that the City goes live with the new system as the existing registration and facility booking system is no longer supported by the vendor. Residents can still receive this service in French by calling 311 to have a French-speaking operator process bookings or registrations. The French interface will be launched in time for the fall/winter registration period.