COVID-19 Update for September 4, 2020 : Pools, Arenas and Fitness Centres
As Stage 3 of the Province’s COVID-19 restart plan continues to move forward, the City of Greater Sudbury has developed plans for the safe reopening of municipal pools and fitness centres.
The schedule for reopening municipal public pools is as follows:
- Howard Armstrong Recreation Centre pool will reopen to the public on September 8
- Nickel District will reopen September 10
- R.G. Dow and Onaping will reopen September 14
- Due to a mechanical issue, Gatchell is expected to open later in September. An exact date will be provided in the coming weeks.
Work is also underway to prepare the City’s five fitness centres to open beginning September 8.
Regular updates and information on safety protocols for the various facilities will be posted to www.greatersudbury.ca/play/recreational-facilities.
To help accommodate demand for summer and early fall ice use, the current schedule for reopening arenas is as follows:
- T.M. Davies Community Centre and Arena and Garson Community Centre will reopen September 7
- Raymond Plourde Arena will reopen September 14
- Chelmsford Arena will reopen September 21.
Residents are asked to visit www.greatersudbury.ca/leisure and use the online ice reservation system to book ice time at either of these arenas or at Gerry McCrory Countryside Sports Complex, which reopened August 11.
There’s a new way to register for leisure programs or book a facility. It’s easy to create an account! If you need help getting started, click here for our Frequently Asked Questions.
The French interface of our new registration system is still under development, however it is important that the City goes live with the new system as the existing registration and facility booking system is no longer supported by the vendor. Residents can still receive this service in French by calling 311 to have a French-speaking operator process bookings or registrations. The French interface will be launched in time for the fall/winter registration period.