Freedom of Information
Notice: Impact of COVID-19 on Freedom of Information Requests
At this time new Freedom of Information requests will not be accepted until further notice. Previously submitted requests will be processed to the best of staff’s ability.
Please be advised that your request may not be completed within the 30 day timeline.
Most City of Greater Sudbury records and information falls under the:
- Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) or
- Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
Under this legislation, you have a right to access information, subject to certain restrictions. These Acts also direct how the City collects, uses and protects your personal information.
How to Access City Records
Every department is responsible for maintaining records relevant to their services in accordance with the City’s Retention Period for City Records By-law and applicable legislation.
The City provides access to records in the following ways:
- Active Dissemination: The City regularly releases information to the public through our website, media channels, Open Data portal and Agendas Online.
- Routine Disclosure: Some departments have processes in place for members of the public to access records and information directly from that department. To find out if a department has a routine disclosure policy or process, contact the department directly.
- Freedom of Information Requests: For access to City records that are not available through active dissemination or routine disclosure, you can make a freedom of information request with the City for the records, in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).
Make a Freedom of Information (FOI) Request
Before you make a request:
- Check the City of Greater Sudbury’s website, Open Data portal or Agendas Online to see if the information you are seeking is already publically available.
- Speak with the department responsible for the information as they may have a routine disclosure process in place, or may be able to provide information about the records that may be useful to you.