Business Licensing

If you plan to open a business in the City of Greater Sudbury, you may require a municipal business licence or municipal business registration. A licencing and registration system is necessary because it ensures that all businesses abide by government regulations. Under the new Licencing By-law approved by Council, certain businesses are required to have a licence while others need to be registered.

What Types of Businesses Require a Licence?

The primary purpose of business licencing is to ensure that businesses follow the City's municipal land use regulations, building, fire, and other community safety requirements, as well as nuisance control measures.

Business licencing is a way for the City to provide some consumer protection and maintain a safe environment for the general public through inspections.

The following types of businesses require licencing:

  • Building Trades – Renovators, Insulation Installers, Drain Layers, Sign Dealers and Installers
  • Heating Contractors and Plumbing Contractors
  • Street Sale Permits for vendors on sidewalks such as Hot Dog Carts
  • Hawker-Pedlar, Craft, Antique and Trade shows, including Day and Temporary Sales
  • Special sales – examples: Liquidation, Bankrupt, Moving, Closing, Fire/Smoke
  • Owners or Keepers of Exhibitions, Halls, Theatres, Places of Amusement, Circus Performances, Midways and other like shows
  • Home-based Businesses
  • Convenience Stores
  • Retail sales of Cigars, Cigarettes and Tobacco
  • Kennels
  • Motor Vehicles/Motorcycle Racing
  • Shooting Galleries and Firearms Ranges
  • Second Hand Dealers, Salvage Yards & Pawnbrokers
  • Travel Trailer Parks, Tourist Camps, Mobile Home Parks
  • Adult Entertainment Parlours and Body-Rub Parlours

What Types of Businesses Require a Registration?

Typically, those businesses that need to register are service oriented and most frequented by the general public, such as:

  • Eating or Drinking Establishments, Food Shops and Refreshment Vehicles
  • Hairstylists, Body Enhancement Shops, including ear and body piercing establishments, electrolysis, estheticians, tanning salons, spas, tattoo parlours
  • Swimming Pool Premises, Wading Pools, Public Bath Premises, Water Slides
  • Hotels, Motels and Boarding houses
  • Bed and Breakfast Establishments

 A checklist has been provided to you as a method of ensuring that you have all the supporting documentation and meet the requirements as per the new by-law.

Where and When do I Apply for a Business Licence or Registration?

Any existing business that has not yet registered or obtained a licence must do so without delay.

Applications are also available at the following locations: 

  • Compliance and Enforcement Services,
    Tom Davies Square, Main Floor
    200 Brady Street, Sudbury
    Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Local calls 3-1-1, long distance (705) 671-2489

For further information on how to obtain a business licence or registration please write, call or fax your inquiry.  

Licence Appeal Process

If you disagree with a decision regarding the refusal, revocation or suspension of licence for a business, taxi or lottery, you can appeal that decision to the Hearing Committee of the Council of the City of Greater Sudbury by completing and returning and "Appeal Request From" within fourteen (14) calendar days following the date of the licence refusal letter.

For complete information on the process of appealing a licence suspension see the Guide to Licence Appeal Procedures - Business, Taxi & Lottery Licences.

Useful Links