Applicants Living Outside of Canada

Applicants Living Outside of Canada

The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining a fair, inclusive, and equitable work environment and our City welcomes qualified applicants from anywhere. In order to be considered for our job opportunities, applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Legally entitled being defined as having all of the necessary paperwork processed, approved and responded to, by way of a work permit being issued and received prior to submitting your job application.

If you are not a Canadian resident and are interested in applying for jobs at the City of Greater Sudbury, please read the information provided on this page to help/guide you through the process. You can also visit the Greater Sudbury Development Corporation Newcomers web page for more information.

There are several programs and organizations that are here to support you as you transition into life in Canada.

Foreign Education Credential Recognition

If you received your post-secondary education from an educational institution outside of Canada, a copy of your World Education Services (WES) document or International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) is required, along with your credentials. If you do not have your WES or ICAS, please visit the World Education Services website or the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada website.

More information on foreign credential recognition can be found on the Government of Canada’s website.

Government of Canada – Newcomers to Canada

In Canada, people who have recently left another country to settle here are commonly referred to as "newcomers to Canada". As a newcomer, one of the most important steps in your transition is finding a job in Canada.

The Government of Canada website outlines everything you need to know to start your job search journey.

Skilled Trades Ontario

Skilled Trades Ontario operates with the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development and is responsible for skilled trades certification in Ontario, which includes:

  • Establishing apprenticeship programs, including training standards, curriculum standards and certification exams;
  • Assessing experience and qualifications of individuals who have not completed an apprenticeship program in Ontario;
  • Issuing Certificates of Qualification in all trades with certifying exams;
  • Renewing Certificates of Qualification in compulsory trades;
  • Maintaining a Public Register of people authorized to work in compulsory trades;
  • Conducting research in relation to apprenticeship and the trades.

Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP)

Greater Sudbury is a participate in the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP). RNIP is a community-driven program that is designed to spread the benefits of economic immigration to smaller communities by creating a path to permanent residence for skilled foreign workers who want to work and live in one of the participating communities.

To be eligible for the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP), you must:

  • Have qualifying work experience or have recently graduated from a publicly funded post-secondary institution in the Sudbury community, with a program length of 2 years or more;
  • Meet or exceed the language requirements;
  • Meet or exceed the educational requirements;
  • Prove you have enough money to support your transition into the community;
  • Intend to live in the community over the long-term;
  • Meet community-specific requirements;
  • Have temporary resident status (if you’re in Canada when you apply).

If you meet all of the requirements, you can start to look for an eligible job in the community.

College of Nurses of Ontario – Internationally Educated Nurses Competency Assessment Program

The Internationally Educated Nurses Competency Assessment Program (IENCAP) is a standardized evaluation of the knowledge, skill and judgment for internationally educated nurses (IENs) seeking to become RNs in Ontario.

The IENCAP is a tool that professional bodies around the world use to assess an applicant’s nursing education, experience and competencies. It provides a clearer picture of an applicant’s nursing competencies than a strictly paper-based assessment.

The College assesses the credentials of all internationally educated applicants to determine if their nursing program, additional education and/or nursing practice (if any) is equivalent to the education of an approved Canadian university baccalaureate degree nursing program.

Applicants whose nursing education and practice do not meet the College’s nursing education requirement will be asked to take the IENCAP. The IENCAP evaluates nursing knowledge, skill and judgment using a multiple-choice exam, interviews, and an OSCE that takes place in a setting similar to real-life clinical situations in Ontario.

Ontario Driver’s Licence – Licence Exchanges and Foreign Licence Applications

Any new resident with a driver's licence from another province or country must apply for an Ontario driver’s licence within 60 days.