Pay Your Tax Bill

You can pay your property tax bill at Tom Davies Square or take advantage of many other convenient options available to you.

Pay at the bank

Pay your property tax at most banks, trust companies, credit unions and Caisses Populaires. 

Pay by mail

  • Make cheques payable to the City of Greater Sudbury.
  • Write your property tax roll number on the front of your cheque and include your property tax bill instalment stubs. 
  • We accept postdated cheques but make sure the date matches the due date on your tax bill. 
  • Cheques dated past the due date will be cashed and a late charge will apply. 
  • Dishonoured payments need to be replaced and are subject to a $55.00 fee in addition to late charges (if applicable).
  • Do not send cash through the mail.

Send your cheque, or postdated cheques for each instalment, to:

City of Greater Sudbury Tax Department
PO Box 5555, Station A
Sudbury, Ontario
P3A 4S2

Pay in person

  • At your nearest Citizen Service Centre 
  • At the One-Stop Services, first floor at Tom Davies Square, 200 Brady St., Sudbury, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.

Pay by phone or online 

  • Pay over the phone or online by registering with your bank or financial institution for telephone or online banking.
  • When asked for an account number, enter your property roll number (found on your tax bill). Do not include 5307 in the 15 digit field, it is an identifier for the City of Greater Sudbury and is not needed to identify your personal property tax account.

Pay with your mortgage

Pay your property tax as part of your monthly mortgage instalment. Speak to your mortgage company to arrange this.

Pre-Authorized Payment Plan 

Pay your tax bill by enrolling in a pre-authorized payment plan with the City where tax payments are automatically withdrawn from your bank account. You can choose one of the following:

  • 12-month plan for automatic withdrawals each month from January to December. You can choose to have payments withdrawn on either the first banking day of the month or the 15 of the month.
  • Four instalments each year, usually once each in March, April, June and July.

If you choose 12-month automatic withdrawals, you will be notified in writing of the amount to be withdrawn from your account each month either by letter or as part of your final property tax bill.

How to sign up

How to change your banking information

If you need to change your banking information while you’re enrolled in a pre-authorized payment plan you will need to: 

How to cancel your Pre-Authorized Payment Plan

You must submit written authorization to cancel your pre-authorized payment plan 15 days before the next withdrawal date to allow time to cancel your next payment. 

Get an Official Tax Receipt

The tax department will provide an official receipt for property taxes paid for the current tax year, upon request. 

  • There is a $15.00 fee for receipts.
  • If you have paid your property tax by cheque, your cheque is your receipt.
  • For all other payment types, please refer to your final property tax bill or contact the tax department for your official receipt.