NOTICE: We are pleased to offer our developers, citizens, businesses, and visitors access to “Pronto”, the City’s new building permit application portal. Read more about getting started with Pronto.
With the introduction of Pronto, the City of Greater Sudbury will be phasing out paper applications. If you are not able to submit an application online, please visit the One Stop Services Centre located on the main floor of Tom Davis Square for assistance
Please refer to the table below for all available record types and associated information related to each record type.
|Building Permit Submissions|
(Online Building Permit Portal)
|New Construction Permit|
|Accessory Structure Permit|
|Secondary Unit Permit|
|Alteration or Renovation Permit|
|Weeping Tile/Foundation Repair Permit|
|Siding (cladding) Permit|
|Permanent Sign Permit|
|New Tent Permit|
|Designated Structure Permit|
|Fire Suppression Permit|
|Change of Use|
|Site Alteration Permit||For Site Alteration permits, please contact Building Services.|
|Click the information icon to learn more about each record type.|
Please review any necessary checklists and typical building drawings before submitting your application. The following permit resources are available for download on the Building Permit Resources page.
- Drawings must be legible, drawn to scale, and affixed with any required stamps or seals from the qualified professional responsible for the drawings.
- If your property has a septic system, permits may be subject to Public Health approval. To inquire if Public Health approval is required, please contact Building Services at 705-674-4455 ext. 4278.
Getting Started with Pronto: Online Building Permit Portal
Pronto, is the City of Greater Sudbury’s new online building permit portal for submitting and managing building permit applications.
With the introduction of Pronto, the City of Greater Sudbury is committed to bringing the building permit application process online. When a citizen or developer registers for a Pronto account, they can:
Future enhancements to Pronto include scheduling inspections, accessing historical permit information, and processing online payments.
To get started:
- Review the available record types in Pronto related to the proposed construction.
- Navigate to the Pronto homepage, using the latest version of Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Firefox,
- Select Register for an Account in the top right corner of the page.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to register an account.
- Navigate to Pronto and sign-in using your newly registered account.
- Select the Building tab in the top menu bar followed by Create an Application to get started.
If you are interested in learning about additional features and capabilities of Pronto, please refer to the detailed work instructions below.
The City will provide opportunities to submit feedback through the Pronto portal for registered users. Feedback will be taken into consideration when making enhancements to Pronto over time.
To apply in person or if you require additional assistance, please visit our One Stop Services Centre located on the main floor of Tom Davies Square or contact Building Services at 705-674-4455 ext. 4278.