Sudbury Community Arena Analysis
On September 13, 2022, Council directed staff to produce a background report to update the building condition assessment and operational effectiveness analysis of the Sudbury Community Arena and provide a high-level summary of options for its replacement or renovation. This was shared with Council in July 2023.
Read the report:
- July 11, 2023 - Sudbury Community Arena Condition Update and Event Centre Option
- Appendix A - Updated Detailed Condition Assessment of Sudbury Community Arena
On September 26, 2023, staff presented a report that provided information requested by Council at its July meeting regarding a facility renewal option and a broader district development with private sector participation.
Read the report:
- September 26, 2023 - Greater Sudbury Event Centre Update and Future Direction
- Appendix A: Sudbury Community Arena Condition Update and Event Centre Option
- Appendix B: Supporting Information
- Appendix C: Avenir Centre Economic Impact Summary
Council directed staff to further explore options for a new or refurbished arena. This additional analysis will have an estimated combined cost of up to $200,000, funded through the Event Centre Project budget. A report will be brought back to Council in March 2024 and will include:
- Results of further structural analysis on the current Sudbury Community Arena.
- A recommended process and timeline for the design and construction of a renovated facility as part of the redevelopment of the South District that mitigates any impact on current arena tenants.
- A recommended process to construct and open a new build facility in 2027/2028.
- An initial evaluation of the potential of both options to attract complementary investment as part of a larger redevelopment of the South District.
- An estimated budget to complete each project option, based on City Council's 2017 list of required features for a new event centre, along with options for enhancements or reductions.
- A potential financing plan for both options.
On October 24, Council approved the acquisition of properties on Brady, Shaughnessy and Minto streets and on Romanet Lane. In addition to properties previously acquired on Elgin and Shaughnessy streets the land will be available for redevelopment, an important step as Council considers a new or refurbished arena.