At the April 26, 2016 meeting of Council, Council endorsed in principle four Large Projects:
- Arena and Event Centre
- Greater Sudbury Convention and Performance Centre (The Junction)
- Library Art Gallery (The Junction)
- Place des arts
Staff were directed to undertake next steps with regards to each of the four projects, and return to Council with regular updates. Since that time, work has been ongoing, primarily led through the Economic Development division with support from other departments, and each project is now in a different stage of exploration, analysis or development.
In the fall of 2016, a Steering Committee of senior staff was established, with the objective of ensuring City Council has sufficient, appropriate information to make decisions about the corporation's involvement in these projects.
Each of the Large Projects aligns with Council’s Strategic Plan, Greater Together, by supporting all four of the pillars:
- Growth and Economic Development
- Responsive, Fiscally Prudent, Open Governance
- Quality of Life and Place and
- Sustainable Infrastructure.