Frozen Water Pipes

Most water pipes in the City of Greater Sudbury are deeply buried for protection against frost, however extremely cold temperatures or fluctuations between warm and cold temperatures can sometimes push frost to a depth that will freeze water pipes.

If you think you have frozen water pipes

If you think that you have frozen water pipes call the City at 311. If you are calling after hours, your message will be forwarded to the appropriate supervisor on call.

You may be asked to locate your water meter. If you are not sure where it is, learn how to identify your water meter. An operator will be assigned to visit your property. During cold weather, crews may be busy so wait times will vary.

After the pipes are thawed, a report will be sent to the appropriate City Supervisor who will determine whether the pipe is frozen on private property or within the City’s right-of-way. The location of the frozen pipes will determine thawing fees.

Fees for thawing frozen water pipes  

Frozen water pipes infographic.

It is your responsibility as a property owner to maintain water pipes located within the building and between the building and the property line. The City of Greater Sudbury is responsible for water pipes located between the property line and the water main.

Unless you receive a letter from the City with specific instructions to run water at a steady stream to prevent freezing of water pipes on City property, you will be responsible for the full cost of running the water. Consumption charges will appear on the next water bill, but costs should be marginal.