Tents, Stages, Bleachers or Screens

If you plan to erect large tents, bleachers, screens or other structures at a special event (for example, vendor tents at a festival) you will need to get a permit from Building Services, as some structures are governed by the Ontario Building Code.

Tent Sizes and Permits

Tent Size Permit Required? Inspection Required?
646 square feet or greater Yes Yes
Less than 646 square feet  No No

All tents must have a separation of at least ten feet from other tents, structures and property lines. 

Some tent rental companies take responsibility for permits and supplying engineers, so be sure to ask your rental representative what responsibilities they cover.

If You Need a Tent Permit and Inspection

Complete an Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish (PDF, 51 KB) This form can be used for other projects such as bleachers, stages and more.

In your application, make sure you include:

  • The appropriate fee (payment can be made by cash, debit or cheque made out to the City of Greater Sudbury.)
  • A plot plan which clearly shows the location of the tent, spatial distances between structures, and the distance from all lot lines as well as parking and washroom facilities.
  • A Commitment Certificate (PDF, 24 KB) from a structural engineer will be required if the tent is over 2422 square feet. 
  • A Letter of Authorization (PDF, 86 KB) from the property owner, if applicable.

Submit Your Application

Bring your completed permit application to Building Services.  Please speak with a Plans Examiner to ensure you have a complete application. 

Tom Davies Square
Building Services (second floor)
200 Brady Street, Station A
Sudbury, ON P3A 5P3

Processing Time

  • Applications can take up to ten business days to process.