Runs, Walks, Rides and Parades

As per provincial regulations, events taking place on city roadways require additional traffic control considerations, as outlined in the Ontario Traffic Manual’s Book 7 (Temporary Conditions).

Generally, events fall into one of the two categories:

  • For walks, runs, rides, and parades, on the roadway (not sidewalk), Paid Duty officers are required for escorting and safety/security. A route map, pre-approved by the Greater Sudbury Police Service Traffic Management Unit, is required. Events making use of sidewalks and crossing at marked intersections in adherence to traffic signal devices do not require Paid Duty officers.
  • For stationary events (Filming, Road Occupancy/Closure), a traffic control plan is required.

Providing clear event details in your application will ensure that the SEAT team can identify your event’s traffic control needs accordingly for processing.

Once the Road Occupancy/Closure permit and TCP are finalized, you will be emailed your permit. Greater Sudbury Police Services will be copied, making them aware of the status of your application.

If you are unsure which category your event falls into, reach out to