COVID-19 Update – June 11, 2021
As of Friday, June 11, Greater Sudbury will enter step one of the Province’s Roadmap to Reopen. The roadmap outlines a three-step plan to safely and gradually ease public health measures and reopen the province.
The front counter at the Recycling Centre will reopen on June 11 for the purchase of backyard composters, kitchen collectors and Big Blues. The counter will be open Monday to Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturdays from 7 a.m. to noon.
Blue boxes and green carts will continue to be available for home delivery by placing an order through the Waste Wise app, online at www.greatersudbury.ca/wastewise or by contacting 311 by phone or Live Web Chat (311.greatersudbury.ca).
The Reuse Center at the Sudbury Landfill will reopen on Saturday, June 12. The Household Hazardous Waste Depot will reopen for scheduled drop-off days beginning July 10. The schedule for drop-off days can be accessed through Waste Wise or by contacting 311. The Toxic Taxi will continue to operate for contactless home collection of residential household hazardous waste. To make an appointment, residents can email email@example.com or call 705-560-9019.
Landfill sites remain open with limited capacity. Reuse centres at landfill sites are closed. Residents should be prepared for longer than usual wait times. The City has set up a live camera at the Sudbury landfill site so that residents can see how busy it is before they make the trip. The live feed is available at www.greatersudbury.ca/landfill-livestream.
Keep Bears out of your Garbage, Recycling and Green Cart
Help Keep Wildlife out of Garbage and Recycling
- Keep your garbage in airtight containers inside your house, garage or shed.
- Put your garbage and recycling at the roadside by 7 a.m. on your collection day and not the night before.
- Use an approved garbage can for your bagged garbage.
- Wash your containers often with a strong smelling disinfectant to reduce odours.
Check out our info sheet for even more tips. (PDF, 288 KB)
Help Keep Wildlife out of Green Carts
Green Carts are durable and designed to be animal and rodent-resistant, but there are additional steps you can take to keep wildlife from getting into your cart:
- Purchase a bin guard for your Green Cart at the Environmental Services office located at 1805 Frobisher St.
- Securely latch the lid on your Green Cart before setting it out.
- Put your Green Cart out in the morning (before 7 a.m.) rather than the night before.
- Make sure all contents are inside the cart (no bags sticking out).
Prevent Insects in your Green Cart
To prevent insects and maggots in your Green Cart you will need to eliminate odours and keep them from getting in your cart.
- Clean your container regularly using a solution of borax/water or vinegar/water or a mild soap.
- Remove all liquid from the bottom of your container and line it with paper products (for example crumpled newspaper) to absorb liquid and prevent material from sticking to the bottom.
- Sprinkle vinegar or baking soda in it to prevent odours and store it in a well-ventilated area.
- Cover it with black plastic such as a garbage bag during the summer months to trap heat and reduce fly survival.
- Sprinkle rock salt or lime inside the container
- Place your container out for collection every week, even if it isn't full.