Keep Bears out of your Garbage, Recycling and Green Cart
Help Keep Wildlife out of Garbage and Recycling
- Keep your garbage in airtight containers inside your house, garage or shed.
- Put your garbage and recycling at the roadside by 7 a.m. on your collection day and not the night before.
- Use an approved garbage can for your bagged garbage.
- Wash your containers often with a strong smelling disinfectant to reduce odours.
Check out our info sheet for even more tips. (PDF, 288 KB)
Help Keep Wildlife out of Green Carts
Green carts are durable and designed to be animal and rodent-resistant, but there are additional steps you can take to keep wildlife from getting into your cart:
- Purchase a bin guard for your Green Cart at the Environmental Services office located at 1805 Frobisher St.
- Securely latch the lid on your Green Cart before setting it out.
- Put your Green Cart out in the morning (before 7 a.m.) rather than the night before.
- Make sure all contents are inside the cart (no bags sticking out).
Prevent Insects in your Green Cart
To prevent insects and maggots in your green cart you will need to eliminate odours and keep them from getting in your cart.
- Clean your container regularly using a solution of borax/water or vinegar/water or a mild soap.
- Remove all liquid from the bottom of your container and line it with paper products (for example crumpled newspaper) to absorb liquid and prevent material from sticking to the bottom.
- Sprinkle vinegar or baking soda in it to prevent odours and store it in a well-ventilated area.
- Cover it with black plastic such as a garbage bag during the summer months to trap heat and reduce fly survival.
- Sprinkle rock salt or lime inside the container
- Place your container out for collection every week, even if it isn't full.