Construction and Renovation
If you are building or renovating, you will likely end up with materials that you are unsure of how to dispose such as leftover lumber, scrap metal, sod or soil, counter tops, cabinets, and other.
Use our Waste Wizard tool to find out how to dispose of your materials. Just type in your item and it will tell you what to do with it.
Generally, most construction and renovation materials are not able to be picked up roadside and will need to be delivered to a landfill and waste diversion site. Check the waste wizard app to make sure.
Our landfill sites have diversion areas where materials can be salvaged and recycled. Make sure you place your materials in the appropriate diversion area of the landfill.
How to reduce construction waste
- Plan ahead. Make a detailed material list with correct lengths for framing lumber, drywall, moulding, etc.
- Reduce scraps by checking measurements before cutting materials.
- Use leftover insulation from outside walls for soundproofing interior walls.
- Avoid over packaging. Buy nails and screws in bulk.
- Buy materials made with recycled content.
- Before demolishing anything, identify materials that can be reused by yourself or someone else.
- Recycle as many materials as you can, including clean drywall, cardboard packaging, scrap metals and appliances.
- Buy already used materials from salvage or re-use companies (for example used bricks for patios).
- Make sure you can return complete, unused materials to the building supply outlet.