COVID-19 Update – April 8, 2021
The Province has declared a third state of emergency in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. A province-wide stay at home order is in effect.
The Toxic Taxi will continue to operate for home collection of residential household hazardous waste. To make an appointment for home collection, residents can email email@example.com or call705-560-9019.
The service counter at the Recycling Centre remains closed and sale of Big Blues, kitchen collectors and backyard composters is temporarily suspended. For information on ordering blue boxes, green carts or bag tags, use the Waste Wise app, visit www.greatersudbury.ca/wastewise or contact 311 by phone or Live Web Chat (311.greatersudbury.ca)
Landfill sites remain open with limited capacity. Reuse Centres at landfill sites are closed. Residents should be prepared for longer than usual wait times. The City has set up a live camera at the Sudbury landfill site so that residents can see how busy it is before they make the trip. The live feed is available at www.greatersudbury.ca/landfill-livestream.
Find Out What's Recyclable
Use our Waste Wise tool to help you figure out what can be recycled.
The following types of items are recyclable:
- Aseptic and polycoat containers (juice boxes/milk cartons). Rinse and remove straws.
- Cardboard and boxboard (remove all plastics and flatten to 30"x 30")
- Clear and coloured glass containers (no broken glass). Rinse all glass containers.
- Disposable aluminum foil, plates and trays. Rinse all items.
- Metal and cardboard food and beverage cans (tuna, juice cans). Rinse all containers.
- Paint and stain cans that are empty and dry (lids removed)
- Empty aerosol cans
- Plastic containers #1, 2, 4, 5 and 6. (Number 3 and 7 plastics and plastics without numbers are not recyclable). Rinse all containers.
- Rigid foam packaging (no foam peanuts or flex foam)
- Non-treated paper bags/gift bags (remove strings/hard plastic handles)
- Plastic stretch bags (no zippers and remove paper receipts).
- Paper, books, magazines
Do not bag recyclables. Place recyclable materials loosely in your recycling bin. The two exceptions are shredded paper and rigid foam packaging. These items can be placed separately in clear plastic bags.