The City of Greater Sudbury is committed to creating a healthy, vibrant and attractive community for all residents. Cycling provides an opportunity to:
- explore your city in a new way
- improve your health
- reduce the negative impacts of automobile travel on the environment and
- improve the quality of life for all residents
Bicycle Friendly Community Award
In 2018, the City was awarded a Bicycle Friendly Community bronze designation from Share the Road Cycling Coalition! We are proud to be recognized for our efforts to make Greater Sudbury a great place to ride a bicycle and are currently working towards the silver designation.
- Learn more about Share the Road and the Bicycle Friendly Communities program.
Bike Paths and Cycling Infrastructure
In 2016, the Transportation Master Plan was updated to include a recommended network of cycling infrastructure including new bike lanes and cycle tracks, as well as a number of recommended policies to improve how we support and encourage sustainable travel in our community. To see the proposed cycling network, see Section 9 of our Transportation Master Plan.
The City has installed crossrides in several locations to allow cyclists to legally ride their bicycle through an intersection without dismounting. Learn more about crossrides.
Learn more about safe cycling and the responsibilities of both cyclists and drivers when sharing the road.
Sign up for News on Cycling and Walking Initiatives
Keep up to date on all the latest cycling and walking initiatives by signing up for our quarterly digital newsletter: Momentum: Moving Forward Together!
We will share:
- upcoming reports to Committee and Council,
- opportunities to provide input to our projects and
- news on other initiatives and events related to cycling and walking in Greater Sudbury.