During a public hearing, the applicant(s) will make a presentation describing the proposed development to the appropriate committee (Planning Committee or Committee of Adjustment, depending on the type of application).
A member of the planning department will provide any information required as well as a description of the subject lands, a summary of the proposed development and an outline of the regulations and policies that relate to the application.
After these presentations, any interested party may appear before the committee to comment on the application(s) or deliver a written submission.
Once all public input has been received, the applicant will have an opportunity to respond to comments. After this, the public hearing will be closed.
Most applications are resolved following one public hearing.
Who can participate?
Several groups and individuals participate in the planning process:
- City Council
- The Planning Committee
- Committee of Adjustment
- Consent Official
- Land owners
- The public
You may be asked to participate in the planning process if:
- you have submitted an application,
- someone has submitted an application for development (rezoning, official plan amendment, plan of subdivision, minor variance, consent) near your property.
You will be given the opportunity to provide feedback on the application either by providing written comments and/or attending a public hearing.
Options to participate
The public is able to participate in Public Hearings in-person or via electronic participation. There are several ways in which the general public can provide submissions to the Members of the Planning Committee and Council for Committee meetings, as follows:
Attend in person:
Attend in person by attending the Council Chamber, Tom Davies Square, 200 Brady Street, Sudbury
Submit comments in writing:
Submit comments in writing to the City of Greater Sudbury, City Clerk, Box 5000, Station A, Sudbury, Ontario, P3A 5P3, prior to this meeting or by email to email@example.com. Comments received by 4:00 p.m. one business day prior to the date of the meeting will be provided to Members of the Planning Committee and Council prior to the meeting.
Register to speak at the Committee Meeting via electronic participation:
Please see below for instructions to register for electronic participation. Interested members must register prior to 4:00 p.m. one business day prior to the date of the hearing.
Speaking virtually at a meeting
Should you wish to speak virtually at the Planning Committee meeting, please email Clerk’s Services at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4:00 p.m. one business day prior to the date of the meeting. Please include:
- your name (first and last);
- email address in order to send you an invite to participate in the meeting via WebEx which allows for participation by computer, mobile device or telephone;
- which item on the agenda you wish to address;
- any visual materials such as pictures or a PowerPoint presentation.
Notwithstanding the deadline noted above, members of the public are requested to register as soon as possible in order to facilitate an orderly registration process and meeting.
Verbal or written submissions will not be accepted by members of Council following completion of the public hearing. If you are aware of any person interested or affected by this application who has not received a copy of the Notice of Public Hearing, it would be appreciated if you would so inform them. Members of the public are encouraged to provide written comments prior to 4:00 p.m. one business day prior to the meeting date even if they choose to register to speak at the meeting via electronic participation in order for the Committee Members to have their comments in the event they are not successful in joining the electronic meeting.
Making a presentation virtually at a meeting
Upon receipt of your request to speak at the meeting, you will be provided the WebEx meeting details and password prior to the meeting, including a link to educational resources for those who may be new to using WebEx.
Please note that neither a computer, nor a video sharing device, is required to participate in the meeting via WebEx. You may also opt to call in from a cell or landline. A call-in number will be provided in the email invite for this purpose.
Persons who intend to participate during the meeting may wish to register/sign up in WebEx if they have not already done so. The following information is provided for your consideration and guidance during remote participation in the meeting:
- As screen-sharing will not be enabled for participants during this meeting, those persons who wish to provide a visual presentation (PowerPoint or other) must email it to email@example.com.The City Clerk who is moderating the meeting will share your presentation from his/her screen as you speak. Therefore, in order to allow sufficient time for set-up and testing in advance of the meeting start time, those who wish to provide visual presentations are required to register to speak and provide those materials to Clerk’s Services prior to 4:00 p.m. one business day prior to the meeting date.
- When you join the meeting, either by phone or online, you will be admitted in as an attendee. You will not be greeted upon joining the call. You will be able to hear the meeting and see the active speaker (if you have video capability), but your mic will be muted until it is your turn to speak.
- You may also follow along on livestream until you are called upon to speak (a separate device is best if you are calling on a cell), but you must mute that feed when you are called on to speak in order to prevent feedback. Please note there may be a 5 to 30 second delay between the live meeting and what you see on livestream.
- If you join the WebEx meeting through your phone, please do not put the phone on hold at any time, as this will result in broadcasting “hold music” online once your mic function is unmuted.
- To optimize call quality when using a laptop, a headset with microphone is best if available to you; otherwise, whether using your laptop microphone or cell phone, please speak directly into the receiver and do not use speaker phone.
- If you are having technical difficulties on the date of the meeting with respect to gaining access to WebEx, you may contact the Clerk’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 705-674-4455 ext. 4209. Please be advised that the City has limited resources available and is not able to diagnose or address technical issues with your hardware or internet connection.
- Please be reminded that the meeting will be live streamed and archived to the livestream. If you enable your camera, you will appear to meeting participants and on the livestream.
- Please do not share the WebEx meeting details with anyone or post through social media. These details are restricted to Members of Committee and Council, specifically designated staff, applicants or their representatives and persons that have made a request to speak. All others will be able to watch and listen to the meeting on the City of Greater Sudbury’s livestream.
- Public delegations will be provided five (5) minutes in which to make their comments once called upon to speak by the Committee Chair. Questioning of / debate with the members (or staff) is not permitted. If you have questions, you may state them during your five minutes. Your comments must be directly related to the content of the report(s) to which you are speaking. The committee members may choose to ask you follow-up questions following your remarks, comment, or ask staff to respond to what you have said.
- You are encouraged to send written comments for the Committee’s consideration in addition to your oral presentation. Submit comments in writing to the City of Greater Sudbury, City Clerk, Box 5000, Station A, Sudbury, Ontario, P3A 5P3, prior to this meeting or by email to email@example.com. Comments received prior to 4:00 p.m. one business day prior to the date of the meeting will be provided to Members of the Planning Committee and Council prior to the meeting.