Landfill Diversion Areas
There are some items you can bring to your local landfill that can be recycled and used for other purposes.
When you bring these items to the landfill, you must place them in the appropriate landfill diversion area.
Items that can be reused and should be placed in the proper diversion area of the landfill include:
- Refrigerators, ovens, stoves, washers, dryers, dishwashers, freezers, air conditioning units, microwave ovens, hot water tanks.
Blue box recyclables
- Check our waste wizard tool to see if items are considered blue box recyclables.
Concrete and brick
- Pieces must be no greater than 1.2 m and free from other metals or materials.
- personal computers (including keyboards, mouse), mini computers and components, mainframe computers and components.
- printers, scanners, drives and modems.
- telecommunications equipment (switchgear, switches and relays)
- instruments and controls (electronic thermostats, recorders, meters)
- electronic relays and pagers
- telephones and fax machines
- electronic medical equipment
- photocopiers and printing/plotting equipment
- electronic calculators
- radio and stereo equipment
- televisions and VCRs
- electronic cash registers
- video games consoles
- digital cameras
Leaf and yard trimmings
- Leaves, grass, twigs, branches, brush trimmings, plant materials, natural Christmas trees.
- Do not mix them with sod, roots, stumps below ground level, gravel or soil.
- Recyclable ferrous and non-ferrous metallic materials such as sheet metal, siding, roofing, rebar, flashings, pipes, window frames, doors, furnaces, duct work, wire, cables, fencing, bicycle frames, auto body parts, machinery, garbage cans, metal furniture, tire rims.
- Metal items with non-metal parts or with hazardous waste are not considered scrap metal.
- No soil or rocks. Place it in the sod composting area.
You will need to separate your wood waste between clean and non-treated wood waste and other wood waste and place in the appropriate area.
Clean and non-treated wood waste
- Lumber, roots free from soil and rocks.
- No pressure treated or painted wood pallets or lumber.
Other wood waste
- Doors, cabinets, bookshelves, painted lumber, cupboards.
- Wood waste treated with a chemical preservative such as railroad ties or utility poles and pressure-treated lumber does not qualify.
Reusable cloth items
- Bedding (pillows, blankets), linens, clothing, footwear, hats, purses, belts. Check specific items in our Waste Wizard tool.
- Passenger tires, light truck tires, medium truck tires, large off-road/mining tires, extra large off-road/mining tires.
- All rims must be removed.