Minor Variance

The way in which land can be developed and used in the City is regulated through by-laws, such as the City’s Zoning By-law . Every property in the City of Greater Sudbury is zoned and each zone has specific provisions about what is permitted. For example:

  • permitted use of land
  • building locations and height
  • parking spaces
  • driveways
  • decks
  • sheds and more

These by-laws cannot anticipate all circumstances that may affect development or use of a particular property, so the Committee of Adjustment may grant a change to these provisions while still maintaining the general intent of the Official Plan and Zoning By-law.  These changes are known as minor variances.

When you apply for a building permit your application will be reviewed and you will be notified if you need to apply for a minor variance.

Common types of requests for minor variance applications include (but are not limited to):

  • Increase in building height
  • Increase in lot coverage
  • Reduction in required parking
  • Reduced (front, rear or side) yard setbacks