All civil marriage ceremonies take place in Council Chamber at Tom Davies Square.
The Council Chamber is reserved for 30 minutes for your ceremony and the ceremony itself typically lasts 10-15 minutes. All ceremonies are expected to start on time. There is a ten (10) minute grace period, however if the ceremony has not started within ten (10) minutes of its scheduled time it will be cancelled and the fee for the ceremony will not be refunded.
In accordance with the Marriage Act, the Ceremony cannot be performed if:
- One or both parties appear to the officiant to be under physical or mental duress.
- One or both parties appear to the officiant to be under the influence of any substance.
- One or both parties appear to the officiant to be unable to provide informed consent.
During the Ceremony
- Pictures and videos may be taken during the ceremony as long as they do not interfere with the proceedings.
- Cell phones and other communications devices must be in silent mode or turned off.
- Confetti, rice, candles, incense and similar items are not permitted.
- Children are to be supervised by a parent/guardian at all times.
- Receptions and reception like activities cannot be accommodated at City Hall
Following the Ceremony
Couples may remain in Council Chamber to briefly accept well wishes and take a few photos. As there are typically multiple ceremonies scheduled each Friday, we ask that couples and their guests be respectful of the 30 minute time limit for their ceremony as time is needed to prepare for the next ceremony.