- Both spouses and two witnesses must be present at the ceremony.
- Witnesses must be 18 years of age or older and capable of reading and understanding the documents which they are required to sign.
- If you do not have witnesses, the City Clerk's Office can provide them for you for you at a cost of $35/witness, payable by cash, debit card, or credit card.
- If you require language interpretation you must provide a Certified Interpreter who will be required to complete the “Interpreter Certificate” as required by legislation and who may not be one of the witnesses to the marriage.
In accordance with the Marriage Act, the Ceremony Cannot be performed if:
- One or both parties appear to the officiant to be under physical or mental duress.
- One or both parties appear to the officiant to be under the influence of any substance.
- One or both parties appear to the officiant to be unable to provide informed consent.
During the Ceremony
- Council Chamber is a formal room similar to a Courtroom and this is a legal ceremony, accordingly, dress must be appropriate to the dignity of the venue and event
- Pictures and videos may be taken discretely during the ceremony as long as they do not interfere with the proceedings, photographers are not moving around the room and flash is not used
- Cell phones and other communications devices must be in silent mode or turned off.
- Confetti, rice, candles, incense and similar items are not permitted.
- Children are to be supervised by a parent/guardian at all times.
- Receptions and reception like activities cannot be accommodated at City Hall