Before the Ceremony

Before you are able to get married at City Hall, you need to get a Marriage Licence

Once you have your marriage licence, and if you and your partner wish to have a civil ceremony at City Hall, you will need to book a separate appointment to meet with a member of Clerk's Services for a pre-wedding consultation. You can book your pre-wedding consultation appointment by calling Clerk's Services at 705-674-4455 ext. 4209 or emailing

Please note: a pre-wedding consultation appointment is not the same as a marriage licence appointment. These services are administered by different departments and staff. 

Both parties getting married must be present at the consultation and you must bring your marriage licence and one piece of photo identification for each person getting married. 

During the pre-wedding consultation appointment you will choose the date and time for your ceremony and a Clerk's Service Assistant will go over the details of your ceremony and complete the pre-wedding consultation information form with you and your partner. You will be asked to provide the name and contact information of both witnesses to your ceremony. Witnesses must be 18 years of age or older and must be capable of reading and understanding the documents that they are required to sign. 

If you do not have witnesses, the City Clerk's Office can provide them for you at a cost of $41/witness, which is payable by cash, debit card or credit card. 

If you require language interpretation, you must provide a Certified Interpreter who will be required to complete the "Interpreter Certificate" as required by legislation and who cannot be one of the witnesses to the marriage.