New policies will provide residents with a simplified application process for the addition of second units in their homes.
Residents applying for the addition of second units to their dwellings will no longer be required to apply for a re-zoning of their property. Second units must still comply with Building and Fire Codes, and Zoning and Property Standards By-laws. They must also go through the necessary building permit application and approval processes.
Second unit policies include certain conditions such as:
- Restriction of one second unit per lot
- Adequate servicing available (infrastructure)
- Not being located on, or adjacent to, hazard lands
- Not causing alterations to the main building exterior that would change the character of the existing neighbourhood
- Meeting all applicable requirements of the Zoning By-law, Building Code, Fire Code and Property Standards By-law
- Only permitted in detached, semi-detached, street townhouses and row houses, and ancillary structures.
Zoning By-law amendments include:
- No increase in lot coverage or building heights
- Minimum requirement of one parking space per unit.
A second unit is a self-contained unit consisting of a room or rooms in a single detached, semi-detached, rowhouse dwelling, street townhouse, or accessory buildings. The unit may be in any part of the house, not just the basement. A second unit has a separate means of entry, a kitchen, bathroom and sleeping facilities.
Click here for the approved second unit policies.
Click here for the approved Zoning by-law amendments.