Private entrance culverts (such as the culverts beneath your driveway) are owned by you - the property owner - even though they are part of the municipal drainage system. As a property owner you are responsible for the proper maintenance and upkeep of your private entrance culvert.

Learn more about what to do about different culvert issues:

I Need to Replace or Reset an Existing Culvert

Sometimes, due to the ground shifting, your culvert may heave and may need to be reset. In some cases, an existing culvert may need to be replaced due to damage, drainage issues or wear and tear. If you think an existing culvert please needs to be replaced or reset follow these steps:

  1. Call 3-1-1 and provide your name, phone number and address.
  2.  The area foreperson will be contacted to inspect the condition of the culvert and take measurements.
  3. Once the culvert inspection is complete, we will notify you of your options.

Your Options for Culvert Installation, Extension, Replacement or Resetting

Once your application for a new culvert/culvert extension has been approved or you have contacted the City about replacing or resetting your culvert, you will have the choice of two options:

Culvert Costs

Residential culverts are subsidized by the City of Greater Sudbury and costs are based on the User Fees By-law.

  • The cost for a new culvert is $240 per metre.
  • The cost for a culvert replacement is $230 per metre.
  • The cost for a culvert reset is $157 per metre.
  • The City only uses corrugated steel pipe culverts that are purchased in six metre lengths. If your culvert is longer than six metres, a collar will be used to join the two sections together. The cost for a culvert collar is $73.15.


  • Payment can be made in person, with cash, credit, debit or cheque at Tom Davies Square, located at 200 Brady Street, Sudbury, ON.
  • Alternatively, a cheque can also be mailed to:

Technical Services Section
Infrastructure Services Department
City of Greater Sudbury
P.O. Box 5000, Stn A
200 Brady St
Sudbury, ON
P3A 5P3

Cheques are to be be made out to the "City of Greater Sudbury".