Private entrance culverts (such as the culverts beneath your driveway) are owned by you - the property owner - even though they are part of the municipal drainage system. As a property owner you are responsible for the proper maintenance and upkeep of your private entrance culvert.
Learn more about what to do about different culvert issues:
I Need a New Culvert or a Culvert Extension
If you need to extend a culvert or install a new culvert in a place where one has not existed before (for example, if you are developing a property and need a culvert for ditch drainage), follow these steps:
- We will process your application once we receive payment and contact you if we have any questions or concerns in regards to the application.
I Need to Replace or Reset an Existing Culvert
Sometimes, due to the ground shifting, your culvert may heave and may need to be reset. In some cases, an existing culvert may need to be replaced due to damage, drainage issues or wear and tear. If you think an existing culvert please needs to be replaced or reset follow these steps:
- Call 3-1-1 and provide your name, phone number and address.
- The area foreperson will be contacted to inspect the condition of the culvert and take measurements.
- Once the culvert inspection is complete, we will notify you of your options.
Your Options for Culvert Installation, Extension, Replacement or Resetting
Once your application for a new culvert/culvert extension has been approved or you have contacted the City about replacing or resetting your culvert, you will have the choice of two options:
Residential culverts are subsidized by the City of Greater Sudbury and costs are based on the User Fees By-law.
- The cost for a new culvert is $182 per metre.
- The cost for a culvert replacement is $137 per metre.
- The cost for a culvert reset is $88 per metre.
- The City only uses corrugated steel pipe culverts that are purchased in six metre lengths. If your culvert is longer than six metres, a collar will be used to join the two sections together. The cost for a culvert collar is $40.54.
- Payment can be made in person, with cash, debit or cheque at Tom Davies Square, located at 200 Brady Street, Sudbury, ON.
- Please note, that due to Covid-19 restrictions, an appointment must be made to make in person payments. Call 705-674-4455 extension 4253 or 4349 to set up an appointment time.
- Alternatively, a cheque can also be mailed to:
Technical Services Section
Infrastructure Services Department
City of Greater Sudbury
P.O. Box 5000, Stn A
200 Brady St
Cheques are to be be made out to the "City of Greater Sudbury".