Child Care Subsidy

The City of Greater Sudbury offers a child care subsidy program to help families with children 12 years old and under reduce their licensed child care costs.  The subsidy may cover all, or part of eligible families' child care costs.  The amount of subsidy provided is determined by an income test.

In this section

Eligibility for Child Care Subsidy
Programs Covered by Child Care Subsidy
How to Apply for Child Care Subsidy
Income and Family Contributions
Required Documents for your Subsidy Application
Other Help With Child Care Costs

Eligibility for Child Care Subsidy

In order to apply for child care subsidy, families must:

  • be registered on the Child Care Registry,
  • live in the City of Greater Sudbury,
  • have an up-to-date income tax assessment,
  • be citizens of Canada, Permanent Residents or have certain types of visas,
  • have a confirmed child care space for their child(ren) with a licensed child care centre or home in Greater Sudbury
  • have a verified need for child care
    - Both parents (or the lone parent) must be working, or going to school during the hours when the child is in care, unless a medical, social or special needs referral is completed for the family and provided to the Children’s Services office. Contact for more information about referrals
    -Families in receipt of Ontario works ODSP or 0W temporary care benefits may also be eligible for some additional subsidy programs contact us for more information.

Programs Covered by Child Care Subsidy

For children aged 0 to 12, subsidized families can choose:

  • any licensed child care centre or before-and-after-school program (apply through the Child Care Registry),
  • homes that are affiliated with a licensed home child care agency (apply through the Child Care Registry),
  • before-and-after-school program offered in CSPGNO Schools (call the school directly).

In the summer, or on school breaks (i.e., March Break), addition to programs in licensed child care homes and centres, children aged 4 to 12 can also be subsidized in the following additional programs (contact the program directly):

How to Apply for Child Care Subsidy

Step 1: Register for a Space at a Licensed Child Care Setting

  • Visit the Child Care Registry to apply to licensed child care centres that will meet your family’s requirements.
  • Once you have child care space confirmed, proceed to Step 2.

Step 2: Call for a Pre-Assessment

  • Contact us at 705-674-4455 extension 4279 with your most recent income tax information for a pre-assessment to see if you qualify for child care subsidy.  
  • The pre-assessment will tell you if you are likely to qualify for subsidy, and if so, how much you can expect to pay for child care.  
  • After you complete your pre-assessment, please proceed to Step 3.

Step 3: Schedule a Subsidy Appointment

  • If, at the time of your pre-assessment, your child already has a child care space, a subsidy appointment will be scheduled. If you don’t have a confirmed child care space, please follow the instructions under Step 1.
  • During your subsidy appointment you will complete a formal subsidy application. The appointment takes approximately 30 minutes and both spouses (if applicable) need to attend.

There are several factors that are considered when assessing child care subsidy eligibility:

  • Family Adjusted Net Income (line 236 of your most recent Notice of Assessment from Canada Revenue Agency. In a two-parent household, it will be the total of both parents.)
  • Business revenue and expenses if self-employed
  • Parents' work or school schedule
  • The family or child's needs, as documented in a Medical or Special Needs referral
  • Number of days and cost of care required
  • Changes in income due to schooling or parental leave
  • Family composition; custody agreements and schedules, court orders, etc.

Income and Family Contributions

There is no cut-off income level for eligibility for subsidy, as long as your eligible child care costs are higher than the family contribution assessed by the subsidy office.

  • If your Family Adjusted Net Income is less than $20,000 your eligible child care will be fully subsidized by the City.
  • If your Family Adjusted Net Income is over $20,000 you will be required to pay a portion of your eligible child care costs.
  • If your family is in receipt of Ontario Works (OW), Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or OW Temporary Care Allowance, your eligible child care will be fully subsidized by the City.

Please see examples below. 

Example of Family Contributions for Child Care at Different Income Levels

Annual Family Income

Your Monthly Contribution
























Eligible families pay their assessed monthly contribution to the child care operator, and the City directly pays the remaining amount, for all approved child care. 

Required Documents for your Subsidy Application

You will need to provide the following documents during your subsidy appointment. If you have questions about any of the documentation required, contact us at 705-674-4455 ext 4279.

Verification of residence, citizenship status and custody

Proof of citizenship status and residence in Greater Sudbury such as:

  • Immigration or visa paperwork if applicable and,
  • Greater Sudbury address.

Confirmation of custody and support arrangements for children who need child care (court order or other agreement or affidavit) for single, separated and divorced parents and blended families.

Verification of Family Income

Provide one of the following to determine the family contribution for child care:

Notice of Assessment (NOA): The most recent Federal Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency for both parents/guardians (or the lone parent/guardian). The family contribution for subsidy is based on Line 236 (Net Income) of this document.  See a sample of the Notice of Assessment. In order to be eligible for child care subsidy, each parent must complete an income tax return every year.


Canada Child Benefit and Ontario Child Benefit Notice: This notice is mailed out in July each year. If your marital status has not changed, the Canada Child Benefit and Ontario Child Benefit Notice may be used instead of the Notice of Assessment.

Verification of need for child care

Provide one of the following to determine the amount and schedule of child care that can be approved:

Letter from employer: letter must state your hours and days of work, dated within the last month (for each parent/guardian), or

School Registration:  If one or both parents are going to school, a copy of the school registration and school schedule are required, or

Medical, social or special needs referral: If your child requires child care because of a parent's medical situation, a family crisis, or a child's special need, a completed referral form (available from the Children's Services office) must be provided.

Other Help With Child Care Costs

Fees for child care for children under six have recently been reduced through the Canada-Wide Early Learning and Child Care (CWELCC) System. There is no need to apply for this, reduced fees are available directly from all CWELLC child care programs.

The Governments of Canada and Ontario offer the Canada and Ontario Child Benefits which are designed to help with the costs of raising children. For more information, visit the Government of Canada website.

In addition, most families are able to claim a tax deduction for their child care expenses.  Make sure to keep receipts for all child care fees that you pay, including summer camps and even babysitting costs.