Residents cannot keep wildlife in captivity without approval from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry. The City of Greater Sudbury does not rescue or rehabilitate wild animals but there are organizations that can help.

Sick or injured wildlife

Wild at Heart Wildlife Refuge Centre, located at 95 White Road in Lively, is provincially licensed as a wildlife rehabilitation centre. Veterinary professionals, trained volunteers and interns provide rehabilitation to a wide variety of animals.

If you find a sick or injured animal, contact the Refuge Centre at 705-692-4478 or email mail@wahrefugecentre.org

Wild at Heart Wildlife Refuge Centre is open seven days a week. Charitable donations are accepted. Learn more from the Wild at Heart website.

Feeding Wildlife

Residents are not permitted to leave food on private or public properties to attract or feed wild animals, feral cats or strays, except under the following circumstances:

  • The resident is an approved member of a rescue group working with the City of Greater Sudbury to manage feral cat colonies
  • The resident is baiting a trap in accordance with the Fish and Wild Animal Conservation Act, 1997, S.O. 1997, c. 41 or in the course of their employment as a licensed trapper, licensed wildlife or pest control agency, Greater Sudbury Compliance and Enforcement Officer or Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Inspector

Residents who feed songbirds on their personal properties must:

  • Place seed in a bird feeder and hang the feeder high enough to be out of reach of other animals
  • Clean up seeds that are spilled on the ground and dispose of the seeds in a manner that discourages wild animals, feral cats and strays.


For non-emergency bear encounters, call the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) Bear Wise reporting line at 1-866-514-2327 (from April 1 to November 30, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) if a bear is:

  • Roaming around, checking garbage cans
  • Breaking into a shed where garbage or food is stored
  • In a tree
  • Pulling down a bird feeder or knocking over a barbecue
  • Moving through a backyard or field but is not lingering

For emergency bear encounters, call Police at 9-1-1, if a bear poses an immediate threat to personal safety:

  • Enters a schoolyard when school is in session
  • Enters or tries to enter a residence
  • Wanders into a public gathering
  • Kills livestock or pets and lingers at the site
  • Stalks people and lingers at the site

Learn more about Report-a-Bear, a peer-to-peer online mapping tool for residents to share information about bear sightings within Greater Sudbury.


Responsible pet owners take action to keep their dogs and cats safe and away from wildlife:

  • Keep your pets on a leash and supervise pets when they are outside
  • Make sure your dogs and cats have up-to-date rabies vaccinations. You must vaccinate all cats and dogs over the age of three months
  • Do not feed or handle wildlife. Keep pet food indoors
  • Never transport or relocate wildlife
  • Store your garbage indoors until collection day
  • Check roof vents and make sure your chimney is capped
  • Repair holes and cracks in screens, walls and roof overhangs
  • Block openings under porches, patios and sheds