Declaration of Pecuniary Interest
The Municipal Conflict of Interest Act sets out what may be regarded as a primary set of ethical rules for council and local board members. These rules apply, with some exceptions, to council and local board members if they have a pecuniary (financial) interest in a matter that is before a council (or a local board) at a meeting.
A new section 5.1 of the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act requires a member to file a written statement (Declaration of Pecuniary Interest Form) after the member discloses a pecuniary (financial) interest under section 5.
In addition, the Act under new section 6.1, requires municipalities and local boards to establish and maintain registries that keep copies of statements filed under section 5.1 and of declarations recorded under section 6. Declaration of Pecuniary Interest Registry.
How to Disclose Pecuniary Interest
Legislation requires a member of Council to:
- Disclose the interest and its general nature before the matter is considered at the meeting by completing and submitting the Declaration of Pecuniary Interest Form (PDF, 17.43 KB) to the Clerk the same day the matter is before Council;
- Not take part in the discussion or voting on any question in respect to the matter;
- Not attempt to influence the voting before, during, or after the meeting; and
- Immediately leave the meeting, if the meeting is closed to the public.
These procedures apply to all City of Greater Sudbury Council and its committee meetings.
Declaration of Pecuniary Interest Form
- Declaration of Pecuniary Interest Form (PDF, 17.43 KB)
Record of Disclosure
Every declaration of interest made, where the meeting is open to the public, is recorded in the minutes of the meeting by the clerk of the municipality or secretary of the committee or local board, as the case may be.
Every declaration made, where the meeting is not open to the public, is recorded in the minutes of the next meeting that is open to the public.
Every municipality and local board shall establish and maintain a Declaration of Pecuniary Interest Registry in which shall be kept:
- A copy of each statement filed under section 5.1; and
- A copy of each declaration recorded under section 6.
This registry is to be made available for public inspection in the manner that the municipality may determine.
Declaration of Pecuniary Interest Registry
|Council/Committee Name||Date of Meeting||Council Member's Name||Position||Agenda Item Number||Agenda Item Title|