Garbage Bag Tags
COVID-19 Update – July 16, 2021
|As of Friday, July 16, Greater Sudbury will enter step three of the Province’s Roadmap to Reopen. The roadmap outlines a three-step plan to safely and gradually ease public health measures and reopen the province.
The front counter at the Recycling Centre is open Monday to Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturdays from 7 a.m. to noon for the purchase of backyard composters, kitchen collectors and Big Blues.
Blue boxes and green carts will continue to be available for home delivery by placing an order through the Waste Wise app, online at www.greatersudbury.ca/wastewise or by contacting 311 by phone or Live Web Chat (311.greatersudbury.ca).
The Reuse Center at the Sudbury Landfill is open. The Household Hazardous Waste Depot will reopen for scheduled drop-off days beginning July 10. The schedule for drop-off days can be accessed through Waste Wise or by contacting 311. The Toxic Taxi will continue to operate for contactless home collection of residential household hazardous waste. To make an appointment, residents can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 705-560-9019.
Landfill sites remain open with limited capacity. Reuse centres at landfill sites are closed. Residents should be prepared for longer than usual wait times. The City has set up a live camera at the Sudbury landfill site so that residents can see how busy it is before they make the trip. The live feed is available at www.greatersudbury.ca/landfill-livestream.
The garbage limit is two (2) bags/containers/bundles per residential household unit every other week. If you have to put out more than two (2) bags/containers/bundles, you can purchase garbage bag tags. There is no limit to number of extra bags you can place at the roadside on your scheduled garbage collection day every other week as long as the bags over the limit are all properly tagged.
The cost is $10 for five tags.
Buy residential garbage bag tags online.
Tags are subject to availability. Please phone ahead.
- 2nd Avenue Home Hardware: 366 Second Ave N., Sudbury - 705-566-5602
- Falconbridge Confectionary: 11 Parkison St., Falconbridge - 705-693-1377
- Food Basics: 1800 Lasalle Blvd., Sudbury - 705-566-8464
- Home Hardware Hanmer: 5085 Hwy 69 North, Hanmer - 705-969-7000
- JEM Mart 20: 532 Kathleen St, Sudbury - 705-693-4707
- JEM Mart 30: 325 Douglas St, Sudbury - 705-674-0487
- JEM Mart 40: 3397 Falconbridge Hwy, Garson - 705-693-4747
- Kwik Way: 13 Serpentine Rd., Copper Cliff - 705-682-2300
- Lagace's Confectionery: 621 Notre Dame Ave., Sudbury - 705-674-3264
- Marc & Cora Convenience: 2361 Bancroft Dr., Sudbury - 705-586-2011
- Melvin's Variety: 400 Melvin Ave., Sudbury - 705-671-2751
- Metro: 3140 Hwy 69 North, Val Caron - 705-897-4958
- North West Lumber/Home Hardware: 3299 Errington Ave., Chelmsford - 705-855-4573
- Real Canadian Superstore: 1485 Lasalle Blvd., Sudbury - 705-560-4961
- Shoppers Drug Mart - Plaza 69: 1935 Paris St., Sudbury - 705-522-2121
- Spruce Street Pinto: 59 Eyre St., Sudbury - 705-675-7535
- Variety Plus Confectionery: 1355 Falconbridge Rd., Sudbury - 705-566-8822
- Wanup General Store: 3 Old Wanup Rd., Sudbury - 705-522-1036
How to use a garbage bag tag
Make sure the garbage is in an approved garbage bag, approved bundle or approved garbage can.
Using a bag tag on a garbage bag
- Secure to the top of garbage bag.
- Secure the bag tag around the neck of the bag. Do not use tags as a twist tie.
- Make sure the full tag can be seen.
Using a bag tag on a garbage can
- Do not place the bag tag on the garbage can itself.
- Place the tag on the top bag inside the garbage can.
- Make sure the tag will be clearly visible when the collector removes the lid.
- You only need one tag on the top bag for the entire container to be collected as long as it weighs less than 18 kilograms/40 pounds.
Using a bag tag on a garbage bundle
- Bundles must be securely tied (e.g. with string/ twine).
- Attach tag to the string/twine so that it is easily visible.
- One tag per bundle is required.
- Make sure the full tag can be seen.
- Do not use white, clear or grocery/retail bags.
- Garbage bag tags cannot be used for garbage that does not fit in a front-end garbage container.
- Do not use tags for recycling, hazardous waste or leaf and yard trimmings.
- We will not accept garbage with torn tags.
- You must bring garbage that can’t be bagged, placed in an approved garbage can, or properly bundled to the landfill.
How to use a Residential Garbage Tag info sheet (PDF, 288 KB)