Make a Claim Against the City

If you believe that the City of Greater Sudbury has been negligent in its maintenance of municipal facilities, roads, sewers, which has caused you injury or damage to your property, you can file a notice of claim against the City.

You Cannot File a Claim by Calling 311

Calling 311 to report an issue is not the same as filing a claim.

Calling 311 allows you to report a specific issue (for example, the location of a pothole). The 311 operator will create a case for the issue and give you a reference number. The reference number allows you to follow up on the case, for example, to see if the pothole has been repaired. This is not filing a claim; it is only reporting the issue.

To make a claim against the City for injury or damages you must complete the online City Claim Form.

What to Consider When Making a Claim

We recommend you consult your insurance company or insurance representative first, for advice on how to deal with injury or damage. Your insurance coverage may be more extensive than what you can recover from the City.

If your insurer believes the City is responsible for your damages they may seek compensation against the City on your behalf.

All City claims are handled by an independent adjuster, not City staff.

The City only provides consideration of your claim if it is legally responsible for your damage as determined by the independent adjuster handing your claim.

Notice of Understanding

The use of profanity, abuse, threats or bullying may result in the independent adjuster assigned to the claim or City of Greater Sudbury staff being unable to provide any further contact, support or consideration of your claim.