Eligible Residents Reminded to Apply For 2016 Elderly Tax Credit
Dec 2, 2016
For Immediate Release
Friday, December 2, 2016
The deadline to apply for the 2016 Elderly Tax Credit is December 31, 2016.
To qualify for the Elderly Tax Credit the resident or spouse must meet the following criteria:
• Be receiving the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) from the Federal Government. To verify if you receive the GIS, please contact Service Canada, at 19 Lisgar St. (Federal building) or call 1-800-277-9914.
• Be a resident of the City of Greater Sudbury.
• Be at least 65 years of age by December 31, 2016.
• Be assessed as the owner of residential property for the entire current year.
• Occupy a single family dwelling unit in the City of Greater Sudbury on which municipal taxes have been levied.
The rebate is issued to qualified taxpayers in the form of a rebate cheque. Taxpayers are required to apply for this rebate annually.
For details on eligibility for tax rebates and credits, visit www.greatersudbury.ca/taxes or call 311.