HCI Fund Eligibility and Approval Process
Eligible capital projects:
- take place on City-owned land and result in the City owning the capital asset; for example, buildings or structures constructed on City-owned land, purchase and installation of machinery, equipment or playground structures, the extension of utilities to or within a City property, parkland development.
- align with priorities in the Parks, Open Space and Leisure Master Plan or other City policies/plans
- benefit the ward to which the application relates
Capital project applications:
- must provide evidence that the membership of the applying group or organization supports the proposed capital project
- should provide evidence that the applicant has canvassed and secured support of members of the community which will be affected
- should identify particulars of proposed contributions (e.g. funds, in-kind work) towards the project by either the applicant or other donating sources
- should provide any necessary feasibility studies or preliminary design work which has been done for the proposed capital project
- must request funds only from the ward allocation in which the proposed capital project will be located
The General Manager of Community Development is authorized to approve eligible applications for capital fund requests of $10,000 or less.
Council approval is required for eligible capital expenditures that in any year, relate to project(s) for a single City infrastructure that exceeds $10,000 and/or projects that have an impact greater than $5,000 per year on the City’s operating budget.
- relate to a community event, activity or program that will benefit the residents of the ward including but not limited to: space rental fees or permit fees, venue decorations and set up, catering, materials, supplies, equipment rentals, giveaways and prizes
- benefit the residents of the ward or wards to which the application relates
The General Manager of Community Development is authorized to approve eligible grant applications of $1,000 or less.
Council approval is required for eligible grant requests that exceed $1,000 and/or result in an applicant receiving a cumulative total grant of more than $1,000 from the HCI Fund in any calendar year and/or exceed $500 towards prizes/gifts for an event.
Grants may be recommended within the following thresholds:
|Type of Community Initiative||Program Description||Recommended Amount|
|Event Support||Volunteer appreciation events, fund raising events, or event door prizes||Up to $500|
|Event Support||Major community or multi-ward event organized by a Community Action Network, a Community Group, a Councilor, and/or City staff and the number of benefitting participants exceeds 350||Up to $3,000 for single ward application or $1,000 per ward for multi-ward applications|
|Event Support||Neighbourhood event organized by a Community Group, a Councilor, and/or City staff where the number of benefitting participants is less than 350||Up to $1,500|
|Facility Rental||Costs for rental of City facilities such as ice, community hall, Grace Hartman Amphitheatre, etc.||Included in eligible grant funding request limit|
|Other||Small scale initiative or program, for example offering introductory/educational classes, distribution of goods for those in need, purchase of equipment to offer a program||Up to $1,500 for a single ward application or up to $500 per Ward for multi-ward applications (limit four wards)|