Join a Local Board, Committee or Advisory Panel


Sign on to get involved! 




The City of Greater Sudbury benefits greatly from the involvement and engagement of residents who provide valuable insight into the programs and services that the City provides. 

The term of each Board, Committee and Panel will coincide with the term of Council or until their specified mandate is completed or otherwise indicated. 

Not all Boards, Committees and Advisory Panels require resident participation, but they are listed on this page to keep residents informed.

How to Apply 

  • Application forms for the Museum and Heritage Advisory Panel are available at the following locations:  
  • Submit an online form
  • Call 311 to request by mail 
  • In person at your nearest Library/Citizen Service Centre or at One Stop Services counter at Tom Davies Square. 

Advisory Panels

Advisory panels are established through provincial legislation or by way of Council resolution to provide advice, information and expertise to the municipality on specific municipal matters.

Advisory Panel Membership

Citizens and stakeholders may apply to be a member of an advisory panel through a public application process. The Nominating Committee will make a recommendation to Council to appoint members to various panels. Members of Council may be included, provided they do not represent a majority of the panel’s members.

Advisory panel meetings are informal, and the mandate of the panel will depend on its specific purpose. 

Local Boards and Committees

Members of Council participate on a number of Boards and Corporations throughout the City of Greater Sudbury.  While some are community based, other are operated under the authority of various Acts as directed by provincial regulation.  

Legislative Appointments

Under the Line Fences Act and the Protection of Livestock and Poultry from Dogs Act the municipality may appoint citizens to act as Fence Viewers and Livestock Valuers.

Learn more about the various functions, roles and responsibilities for each legislative appointment:

Business Improvement Area (BIA) Boards of Management

Municipalities are permitted under the Municipal Act, 2001 to designate an area as an improvement area and may establish a board of management to:

  • Oversee the improvement, beautification and maintenance of municipally-owned land, buildings and structures beyond that proved at the expense of the municipality; and
  • To promote the area as a business or shopping area.

 The City has created has created two Business Improvement Areas in the community to which Council members are appointed: