Accounts Receivable

Accounts Receivable is responsible for sending out invoices to customers for services offered or goods sold by the City and applying payments received from customers to those invoices.  Accounts Receivable is also responsible for compliance with the Accounts Receivable Policy and Procedures and provides guidance to departments on the processing of invoices and is also responsible for the collection and administration of the Municipal Accommodation Tax (MAT).

Pay an Invoice or Bill from the City

You can pay your invoice in the following ways:

  • In person at your nearest Citizen Service Centre by cash, cheque, debit, Visa or Mastercard
  • By  mail to City of Greater Sudbury, Finance – Accounts Receivable, PO Box 5000, Stn. A, Sudbury, ON P3A 5P3. Cheques must be payable to the City of Greater Sudbury.
  • By phone with your Visa or Mastercard by calling 705-674-4455, extension 2458.  
  • By enrolling in a pre-authorized payment plan by calling 705-674-4455, extension 2458.
  • By sending an e-transfer to Please include the customer and invoice number. (This account will receive auto deposits only. We are unable to accept e-transfers that require a password.)

Payment Policy and Procedures

  • Payment is due 30 days from invoice date.
  • Interest is charged on a monthly basis in accordance with the Miscellaneous User Fee By-law.

Overdue Accounts

The City uses various means to collect overdue accounts. When an invoice is overdue we will mail you two reminder letters. If we do not receive payment, the operating department and/or Accounts Receivable will review the circumstances of each account and make recommendations on the appropriate course of action which may include:

  • Transfer applicable accounts to property taxes
  • Offset the amount owing to the City against a payment owing in Accounts Payable
  • Review Letters of Credit or other performance guarantees on hand to determine ability to apply these to the outstanding balance

Nonpayment may constitute a breach of contract. This may result in the City:

  • Transferring management of the account to Legal Services to assess legal recourse
  • Sending the account to a Collection Agency

Dispute an Invoice

You can discuss your invoice by calling the department that generated the invoice. If you don’t know what department that is, call Accounts Receivable at 705-674-4455, extension 2430 and they will redirect your call.

Get a Copy of an Invoice, Statement of Account or Get Invoices Electronically