Special Support Programs
COVID-19 Update – November 2021
The front counter at the Recycling Centre is open Monday to Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturdays from 7 a.m. to noon for the purchase of kitchen collectors and Big Blues.
Blue boxes and green carts are available for home delivery by placing an order through the Waste Wise app, online at www.greatersudbury.ca/wastewise or by contacting 311 by phone or Live Web Chat (311.greatersudbury.ca).
The Household Hazardous Waste Depot is open on select Saturdays. This schedule for drop-off days can be accessed through Waste Wise or by contacting 311. The Toxic Taxi will continue to operate for contactless home collection of residential household hazardous waste. To make an appointment, residents can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 705-560-9019.
The Reuse Center at the Sudbury Landfill is open on Saturdays. Landfill sites remain open with limited capacity. Residents should be prepared for longer than usual wait times. The City has set up a live camera at the Sudbury landfill site so that residents can see how busy it is before they make the trip. The live feed is available at www.greatersudbury.ca/landfill-livestream.
If you have any questions about these programs please call the City at 311.
We have two programs for families with children under the age of four in diapers:
- Rebate for using cloth diapers (PDF, 77 KB)
- Garbage container limit exemption for diaper waste (PDF, 112 KB)
- If the application is approved, you will have the option to receive every other week collection of two (2) clear bags of diapers per child under the age of 4 or to receive weekly collection of one (1) clear bag of diapers per child under the age of 4.
- Children's Diaper Waste Container Label (PDF, 2 MB) is a sticker that may be placed on an approved garbage container dedicated to clear bags of children's diapers only.
You must register for the programs and agree to participate in the City's waste diversion and recycling programs.
We can provide garbage bag tags for extra waste due to medical circumstances (PDF, 147 KB) such as incontinence products or unrecyclable medical packaging.
If the application is approved, you will have the option to receive every other week collection, or weekly collection of tagged bags of medical waste only.
You must register for the program and agree to participate in the City's waste diversion and recycling programs.
We have options for you if you're unable to include your pet waste within your current garbage (10% pet waste to 90% garbage.
- Apply for a garbage container limit exemption for pet waste.
- Purchase garbage bag tags for cat litter box waste. Make sure that the portion of cat feces to litter is approximately 10% feces to 90% litter/garbage.
- Get a rebate to purchase a dog waste digester (PDF, 85 KB) and manage your dog waste right at home. We provide a rebate of up to $50 per household.
- Deliver extra garbage directly to your landfill site. Please advise the landfill attendant if you're disposing of full bags of pet feces. They may place the bags in a designated area to avoid odours or to reduce potential messes.
- Consider hiring a company that will pick up your dog feces directly from your yard. Simply search for a service provider directly on the internet.
Animal Resistant Waste Storage Container
Property owners can apply for the Animal Resistant Waste Storage Container Rent-to Own and Subsidy Program. The Rent-to-Own option will help to alleviate the upfront costs of purchasing an approved waste storage container, and the subsidy option will allow property owners with a net family income below $47,000 to receive a subsidy of 50% of the total cost.
You must register for these programs and agree to participate in the City's waste diversion and recycling programs.
Let’s Sort It Out Together! Resident can now request a home visit from a solid waste expert to learn about the tools and resources that will lead to successful management and reduction of household waste as well as learn more about support programs and waste diversion options offered by the City.
We can also sort through your garbage, blue box and green cart with you to show you what goes where!
For more information or to request a visit, please call 311 or contact email@example.com.