The City of Greater Sudbury’s regreening efforts have received considerable recognition throughout our community, province, country and even internationally.
Committee and Individual Awards
2019: VETAC was awarded the Outstanding Organization Award from the Canadian Network for Environmental Education and Communications (EECOM). VETAC's contribution to environmental education and communication demonstrates an increase in public awareness about the environmental and fosters environmental education initiatives.
2016: Wayne Hugli was awarded the Community Builders Award of Excellence in the Environment by the Northern Life newspaper for his involvement with the Ugliest Schoolyard Contest.
2008: VETAC was awarded the Community Builders Award of Excellence in the Environment category by the Northern Life newspaper for improving the environmental footprint in our community.
2003: VETAC was awarded the Sudbury Mining and the Environment Committee Certificate of Recognition for 25 years of enhancing and sustaining a healthy environment for residents of the City of Greater Sudbury.
- 2003: Bill Lautenbach was awarded the Dr. Edward M. Watkin Award by the Canadian Land Reclamation Association in recognition of major contributions to land reclamation.
Regreening Program Awards
- 2001: Finalist Award Certificate for the Bremen Partnership Award in the area of Global Responsibilities through Local Action.
- 1997: Community Achievement, Elaine Burke Memorial Award.
- 1995: Model Project Award, presented by The Society for Ecological Restoration.
- 1992: United Nations Local Government Honors Award.
- 1992: United States Chevron Conservation Award.
- 1990: Government of Canada Environmental Achievement Award.
- 1990: Lieutenant Governor's Conservation Award.
- 1990: Aboricultural Award of Merit, presented by the International Society of Aboriculture Ontario Inc.
- 1989: Ontario Shade Tree Council award from the Ontario Shade Tree Council.
- 1986: Community Improvement Award from the Ontario Horticultural Association.