The City of Greater Sudbury’s regreening efforts have received considerable recognition throughout our community, province, country and even internationally.
Committee and Individual Awards
- 2016: Wayne Hugli was awarded the Community Builders Award of Excellence in the Environment by the Northern Life newspaper for his involvement with the Ugliest Schoolyard Contest.
- 2008: VETAC was awarded the Community Builders Award of Excellence in the Environment category by the Northern Life newspaper for improving the environmental footprint in our community.
- 2003: VETAC was awarded the Sudbury Mining and the Environment Committee Certificate of Recognition for 25 years of enhancing and sustaining a healthy environment for residents of the City of Greater Sudbury.
- 2003: Bill Lautenbach was awarded the Dr. Edward M. Watkin Award by the Canadian Land Reclamation Association in recognition of major contributions to land reclamation.
Regreening Program Awards
- 2001: Finalist Award Certificate for the Bremen Partnership Award in the area of Global Responsibilities through Local Action.
- 1997: Community Achievement, Elaine Burke Memorial Award.
- 1995: Model Project Award, presented by The Society for Ecological Restoration.
- 1992: United Nations Local Government Honors Award.
- 1992: United States Chevron Conservation Award.
- 1990: Government of Canada Environmental Achievement Award.
- 1990: Lieutenant Governor's Conservation Award.
- 1990: Aboricultural Award of Merit, presented by the International Society of Aboriculture Ontario Inc.
- 1989: Ontario Shade Tree Council award from the Ontario Shade Tree Council.
- 1986: Community Improvement Award from the Ontario Horticultural Association.