The Official Plan helps guide Greater Sudbury’s development and land use. It establishes long-term goals, shapes policies and outlines development strategies for our city. It also includes our long-term goals relating to social, economic and environmental matters.
It helps us plan development in our city such as:
- Where to put new housing and living areas, businesses, parks and open spaces and schools,
- What infrastructure (roads, water and wastewater and waste management services) will be needed,
- How to maintain the characteristics of our rural areas,
- How our water resources, natural environment and cultural heritage will be protected.
The Official Plan
- View the current Official Plan (PDF, 3.5 MB)
- As ammended by Official Plan Amendment (OPA) 88 (By-law 2018-124P) (PDF, 2.8 MB)
- Decision to modify and approve as modified by the Province (PDF, 2.7 MB)
Official Plan Review
Municipalities must conduct a review of their Official Plan every five years to ensure consistency with provincial legislation, plans and policies. This review allows our city to consult with residents and stakeholders to find out what’s important for the future of the community and how they think we can get there. It also ensures existing projections and priorities are still relevant and presents an opportunity to adapt the plan on a regular basis, to better reflect any changes in the community.
The current Official Plan, as amended from time to time, remains in effect until the Phase One Review has been adopted by Council and approved by the Minister of Municipal Affairs. Further detail on the Official Plan review process and status can be found in the following reports.
Phase One of the Official Plan review began in 2012. The review is centered on community feedback, legislative and regulatory changes, and included a series of public engagement sessions. Public open houses were most recently held in May and June of 2016. Additional open houses and a public hearing were also held in March 2017 for residents to provide feedback on Phase One of the Official Plan Review.
Phase Two of the Official Plan review is currently underway. It will align the Official Plan with the Transportation Background Study update and the Water Waste Water Master Plan, once complete.
At that time, staff will bring forward any recommended land use policy changes associated with the Greater Sudbury Development Corporation’s Strategic Plan: From the Ground Up 2015-2025.
Phase Two will also address any additional changes that may be required as a result of new provincial legislation.