GSDC Welcomes New and Returning Board Members
Jun 24, 2020
The Greater Sudbury Development Corporation (GSDC) continues to support local economic development with the recruitment of six new members to its volunteer 18-member Board of Directors, representing a wide breadth of expertise to benefit attraction, growth and retention of business in the community.
The Board elected Andrée Lacroix, Partner, Lacroix Lawyers/Advocats to serve as Chair for a second term. Peter Nykilchuk, General Manager, Hampton Inn by Hilton and Homewood Suites by Hilton, will serve as First Vice-Chair, and Jeff Portelance, Capital Sales Manager, Marcotte Mining Machinery Services as Second Vice-Chair.
“On behalf of the Greater Sudbury Development Corporation, I would like to welcome the new members to the board, and I am very pleased to take on the role of Chair,” said Andrée Lacroix. “Our board of directors represents a variety of sectors, both public and private, but we all serve a common goal, and that is to support economic recovery and continued growth in our community.”
Appointment of new board members followed a citywide call for applications:
- Jennifer Abols, Executive Director of the Goodman School of Mines,
- Robert Haché, President and Vice-Chancellor of Laurentian University,
- Anthony Lawley, President and Founding Partner of the IVEY Group,
- Mike Mayhew, Founding Partner of Mayhew Performance,
- Claire Parkinson, Head of Operational Services, Vale North Atlantic Operations, and
- Shawn Poland, Associate Vice President of Strategic Enrolment and College Advancement with Cambrian College.
“As Mayor and as a member of the GSDC Board of Directors, I am excited to see new members coming on board for the benefit of the community and to help fulfill the economic development goals of our city,” said Greater Sudbury Mayor Brian Bigger. “On behalf of City Council, I welcome new board members who are beginning their three-year term, and I extend sincere thanks to those who have already served. Now more than ever, we need the individual perspective and life experience that only volunteers can provide to move forward with economic recovery.”
The Greater Sudbury Development Corporation (GSDC) extends appreciation to members who have completed their three-year volunteer term:
• Brent Battistelli, President, Battistelli Independent Grocer,
• Iyo Grenon, Senior Communications Specialist, Human Resources, Glencore,
• Marett McCulloch, Sales Manager, Sudbury Wolves Sports and Equipment,
• Daran Moxam, Portfolio Manager, Scotia McLeod, and
• Brian Valliancourt, Vice President, Business Development, Collège Boréal
Biographies of GSDC Board Members and information about the role of the GSDC in the community are available at www.investsudbury.com
About the Greater Sudbury Development Corporation:
The GSDC is the economic development arm of the City of Greater Sudbury, consisting of an 18-member volunteer board of directors, including City Councillors and the Mayor, and supported by City staff.
Working with the Director of Economic Development, the GSDC acts as a catalyst for economic development initiatives and supports the attraction, development and retention of business in the community. Board members represent various private and public sectors including mining supply and services, small and medium-sized enterprises, hospitality and tourism, finance and insurance, professional services, retail trade, and public administration.