City of Greater Sudbury Joins Virtual Celebration of Innovative Technology
Nov 18, 2020
On Wednesday, November 18, the City of Greater Sudbury will join hundreds of organizations in recognizing GIS Day, a global celebration of the innovative applications of geographic information system (GIS) technology.
What is GIS? Quite simply, it is technology rooted in the science of geography. By integrating many different types of data and organizing it into layers of information using mapping, GIS can be used to analyze and assess community issues, understand patterns or trends based on geography, monitor changes and tell meaningful stories.
GIS Day provides an international forum to share the innovative and inspiring real-world applications that are making a difference in our society and advancing global progress. Given current circumstances, this year’s celebration will be done virtually.
We invite residents to explore some of the City’s online offerings:
- Go back in time with the City’s new Historical Aerial Photo App: https://arcg.is/10yafy1. Users can view photos taken between 1946 and 1999 and download large high-resolution imagery.
- Take a virtual history lesson and learn about the tornado that tore through the area 50 years ago in this Tornado of 1970: 50 Years Later story map: https://arcg.is/1qPL9n
- Explore local cemeteries using the Sudbury Cemeteries app: https://arcg.is/1S5qvS
- Lean more about the demographic makeup of your neighbourhood with the Demographic Dashboard: https://arcg.is/iDqLX
- Come explore the City’s Open Data Portal: https://opendata.greatersudbury.ca/. The City's open data includes many GIS datasets, with 40 new ones recently launched.
- Looking for a park, playground or other recreational facility? Check out the Recreation App: https://arcg.is/08SSj90
- If you are working in the field of surveying, or are in school learning about surveying, take a look at the mobile-friendly Survey Control App: https://arcg.is/0S9XGO. It provides information on municipal benchmarks and monuments from your mobile device while in the field.
Other applications can be found at www.greatersudbury.ca/play/maps/. To learn more about GIS Day, visit www.gisday.com.