Public Hearing for Proposed Second Unit Policies
Jun 2, 2016
For Immediate Release
Thursday, June 2, 2016
Residents are invited to provide their comments at a public hearing on Monday, June 27, on proposed amendments to the City of Greater Sudbury Official Plan and Zoning By-law for second units.
Attendees may speak during the Public Hearing portion of the Planning Committee meeting at 5:30 p.m. in Council Chamber. Pre-registration is not required.
Changes to provincial legislation require the City to establish Official Plan policies and make Zoning By-law changes to allow second units in detached, semi-detached and row houses, and accessory buildings.
Proposed requirements for second units include:
• Restrictions of one second unit per lot.
• Adequate servicing (infrastructure) available.
• Not located on, or adjacent to, hazard lands.
• No alterations to the main building exterior that would change the character of the existing neighbourhood.
• Meet all applicable Zoning By-law, Building Code, Fire Code and Property Standards By-law requirements.
Proposed Zoning By-law amendments include:
• No increase in lot coverage or building heights.
• A minimum requirement of one parking space per unit.
Second units play an important role in providing affordable rental housing options to residents, including young adults, seniors, modest income families and residents with special needs. They provide rental income to homeowners, and the flexibility to offset costs of home ownership and maintenance. Overall, second units contribute to a greater mix of housing, neighbourhood revitalization and social diversity.
Please visit www.greatersudbury.ca/opreview for more information on second units, or to submit your comments via the Official Plan comment form.