Know Who to Call to Repair a Sewer Backup: City of Greater Sudbury Implements New Sewer Backup Procedures

Feb 12, 2016

The City of Greater Sudbury is improving service for residents who experience a sewer backup in their home or place of business. Effective February 16, residents have two options to report a sewer backup. Option one is to direct dial the City at 3-1-1 to access the service of a municipally contracted plumber. This option is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Under option two, residents may choose and directly contract any plumber in the city.

When residents dial 3-1-1 to report a sewer backup, the City of Greater Sudbury will send a municipally contracted plumber to clear the blockage and to perform a closed- circuit television (CCTV) inspection of the sanitary sewer service. The plumber will submit an invoice directly to the City for this service. The City will then review the CCTV inspection. If the blockage is determined to be the responsibility of the property owner, due to improper disposal of items into the sanitary sewer system or damaged pipes on private property, the City will invoice the property owner for the cost of the plumbing services.

Residents who choose to directly contract a plumber without contacting 3-1-1 must pay the plumber. If the plumber suspects that the sewer blockage is the responsibility of the City of Greater Sudbury, due to damaged pipes on municipal property or other factors outside the control of the property owner, then the plumber must perform a CCTV inspection. This video evidence and additional information must be submitted to the City to request a reimbursement of plumbing costs.

Information to submit a request for reimbursement and policies related to sewer backups are available online at