City of Greater Sudbury Frozen Water Service Update: Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Mar 3, 2015

City of Greater Sudbury Frozen Water Service Update: Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The City of Greater Sudbury advises residents who are accessing potable water at municipal filling station on Bancroft Drive, near Moonlight Beach Road, has frozen and will be closed until further notice.

Citizens may fill their own containers at any municipal filling station located in the following areas: Bay Street in Whitefish, Countryside Drive in Sudbury (near the Gerry McCrory Countryside Sports Complex), and Spruce Street in Garson.

In an effort to streamline the process, the City is now asking property owners to provide permission to thaw when they first call in with a no water issue. The City will continue to deliver information on frozen water services to each property owner after their initial phone call. 

The City of Greater Sudbury is offering shower facilities to residents who do not have running water as a result of frozen water services or water main breaks until Friday, March 6, when need will be reassessed. Residents will be asked to present identification and to supply their own towels and toiletries. Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Residents are invited to make use of showers at the following facilities from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. daily:

Ø  Capreol Millennium Resource Centre, 24 Meehan Street, Capreol,

Ø  Gatchell Pool, 43 Irving Street, Sudbury,

Ø  Nickel District Pool, 1940 Hawthorne Street, Sudbury,

Ø  Onaping Falls Pool, 1 Hillside Drive, Onaping

The City and its contractors are working diligently to thaw frozen services. There are 12 contractors working today in conjunction with City crews to respond to residents.

The City continues to receive reports from residents of no water service. Property owners are cautioned that air temperature is not an indicator of risk of frozen water services. It will likely be months before the risk of ground frost has been lifted. Residents are encouraged to watch for neighbours who may require special assistance during a water service outage.

Residents who are without water are asked to dial 3-1-1, at any hour of day, seven days a week.

Residents have the right to contract work to a plumber or contractor or their choice; however, all charges (including additional water consumption) must be incurred by the property owner, whether the frozen water service is on municipal property or private property.

For more information on frozen water service, including tips to help prevent frozen water lines and a list of water filling station locations for those currently without water, please visit

Media Contact:

Shannon Dowling, Corporate Communications,
City of Greater Sudbury, 705-674-4455, ext. 2539