City of Greater Sudbury Advises Residents to be Prepared for Spring Thaw

Apr 10, 2015

The City's operations crews are monitoring the spring thaw, storm sewers and roadside ditches en-route to the large watercourses found throughout the City. Operations crews have been thawing frozen culverts, clearing storm grates and removing snow from ditches over the last several weeks, as required, to minimize ponding issues. City roads have not been closed at this point due to water-over-the-road, however, the most vulnerable areas are being closely monitored. Citizens are advised to exercise normal precautions in the vicinity of drainage ditches.

With the onset of rain and spring thaw, citizens are also reminded there are things they can do to reduce the potential of basement flooding:

• Check your sump pump to ensure it is operating and your sump pit to ensure it is not blocked by debris.
• Reposition your downspout, if necessary, to direct water away from the foundation and any neighbouring properties.
• Valuables stored on basement floors should be moved to a safe location if you are concerned about flooding.
• Know what to do if your basement floods. The City of Greater Sudbury offers a flood preparedness package on its web site at The most important thing is protection from electrical shock. Do not enter a flooded basement without rubber boots and do not touch anything metal. Contact your hydro utility and gas utility for disconnects, if necessary. If your basement is flooded with sewage, contact a licensed plumber as a first step.
• Instruct your children to stay away from fast moving water.
• If you encounter a flooded road, do not attempt to drive or walk through the flooded area. If you are in a vehicle surrounded by rising water, leave the vehicle and proceed to safe ground.

Conservation Sudbury (NDCA) will provide updated Watershed Bulletins on its website at as required. Citizens with questions regarding watershed conditions can contact Conservation Sudbury (NDCA) at 705-674-5249.

Citizens are reminded that 9-1-1 should only be dialed to report a crime in progress or a life-threatening emergency situation.  Citizens are encouraged to phone 3-1-1 if they observe any concerns related to the spring melt or flooding.


Media Contact:
Shannon Dowling, Corporate Communications
City of Greater Sudbury, 705-674-4455, ext. 2539
Twitter: @greatersudbury