Unofficial Election Results
Oct 28, 2014
The City Clerk continues to work towards declaring the official results from the 2014 Municipal and School Board Election. Results are expected to be declared by the end of the week.
The following unofficial numbers are available:
• Total number of eligible voters – 117,701
• Total ballots cast – 59,686 or 50.7%
In respect to the referendum questions, the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 (8.2(1)) states that results of each question are binding on a municipality if at least 50% of the eligible electors in the municipality vote on the question and more than 50% of the votes on the question are in favour of those results.
Referendum question results:
• Total number of voters on Question #1: 56,138 which represents 47.7% of the total ballots cast (61.12% voted Yes)
• Total number of voters on Question #2: 55,941 which represents 47.5% of the total ballots cast (62.38% voted Yes)
• Total number of voters on Question #3: 56,337 which represents 47.9% of the total ballots cast (75.46% voted Yes)
With less than 50% of the eligible voters having voted on the referendum questions, the results are not binding. However, in light of the results, staff will discuss with the Mayor-Elect, the presentation of a report repealing the by-laws regulating store hours at the first meeting of the new term of City Council on December 9, 2014.
For more information and to see the unofficial results from the 2014 Municipal and School Board Election, please visit www.greatersudbury.ca/elections.
- 30 -