School Board Support
MPAC (the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation) will continue to be responsible for changes to voter’s school support designation has launched a new online portal to allow property owners or tenants registered with MPAC to designate their school support.
The City of Greater Sudbury has four School Boards within its boundaries:
- Sudbury Catholic District School Board – English Catholic (Separate)
- Rainbow District School Board – English Public
- Conseil scolaire catholique du Novel Ontario – French Catholic (Separate)
- Conseil scolaire public du Grand Nord de l’Ontario – French Public
Voters may only support one board and it must be a board they are eligible to support.
- Persons who are not Roman Catholic and do not have French-language education rights must be English-Public school supporters.
- Persons who are not Roman Catholic but do have French-language education rights must be either English or French-Public school supporters. Roman Catholics who do not have French-language education rights must be either English-Public or English-Separate school supporters.
- Only Roman Catholics who have French-language education rights have the choice of supporting any one of the four District School Boards (Roman Catholic includes Greek and Ukrainian Catholics).
French-language education rights exist when a person meets the following criteria:
- First learned and still understands French; or
- Received their elementary school instruction in Canada in French (this does not include French immersion or French as a second language); or
- Whose children received, or are now receiving, elementary or secondary school instruction in Canada in French (this does not include French immersion or French as a second language).
English Public is the default School Support status for all voters. When you move or change your address with MPAC or if you are newly added to the voters’ list, your School Support will automatically default to English Public.
If you need to update or add your School Support you can do so via the online portal.