General Hiring Policies
If you need a disability-related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let us know.
Addressing Your Cover Letter and Resume
- In order to keep the process centralized in Human Resources and Organizational Development, we do not provide the names of hiring managers. Please address your cover letter and resume to “Hiring Committee.”
- To ensure that your resume is received properly, please follow the directions carefully at the bottom of the employment opportunity.
Foreign Education Credential Recognition
If you received your post-secondary education from an educational institution outside of Canada, a copy of your World Education Services (WES) document or International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) is required, along with your credentials. If you do not have your WES or ICAS, please visit the World Education Services website or the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada website.
More information on foreign credential recognition can be found on the Government of Canada’s website.
High School Equivalency
If you do not possess a high school diploma, the City of Greater Sudbury recognizes the Academic Career Entrance (ACE) certificate as an equivalent.
How to Apply
- Instructions on how to apply are provided in each individual employment opportunity.
- Visit myJOBS.greatersudbury.ca for all of our current opportunities.
- If you are applying for a summer student job, follow the instructions on our student employment page.
- Any other documents that you might need will be listed on the employment opportunity and will be provided on our website and available at all Citizen Service Centres during the recruitment process.
How to Make Sure Your Application is Received
- Send your application well before the closing date and time. We will not consider any applications received after the closing date and time.
- If you submit your resume by email, you will receive an automated reply.
- If you submit your resume by fax, you can get a confirmation message from the fax machine.
- If you submit your resume in person, you can ask for a copy of the first page of your resume with the date stamped on it.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Jobs Open to the Public
- Any job that is available to the general public has the heading “Employment Opportunity” on it and has a number that begins with “EX”.
- A job posting that does not have “EX” on it is not open to the general public, and is restricted to City of Greater Sudbury employees.
- For all jobs open to the public, check our current opportunities or the Citizen Centre Bulletin Board located at Tom Davies Square.
Keeping Resumes on File
We do not keep resumes on file or transfer them from one employment opportunity to another. Please apply to each employment opportunity that you are interested in.
Length of Hiring Process
Jobs are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The closing date and time can be found on each employment opportunity. Only open competitions are listed on our website.
The recruitment process can take up to eight weeks. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We only use your personal information to evaluate your suitability for the job for which you are applying, according to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
You do not need to submit copies of your credentials with your resume. If you are required to do so, it will be included on the employment opportunity.
If you are selected for an interview, you may be asked to provide supporting documentation. This might include: diplomas, training certificates, First Aid/CPR certificates, or other.
Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check (CRC) with your resume. If a CRC is required, the hiring manager will ask for one if you are the candidate of choice.
The City of Greater Sudbury does not accept unsolicited resumes.