Roaming, Loose or Off-leash Pets


  • All dogs must be leashed and under control when leaving your property.
  • You must have the ability to keep your dog under control to avoid unwanted contact with other people or animals.
  • Dogs living on rural properties of 0.5 hectares (1.2 acres) or more can run free if they remain on the owner’s private property.
  • Hunting dogs can be off leash with the permission of the property owner and while under the control of a responsible pet owner.
  • For off-leash play, you can visit two off-leash dog parks operated by the City of Greater Sudbury in partnership with community volunteers.


Cats may roam outdoors; however, they must:

  • have an up-to-date licence
  • be microchipped and
  • be spayed or neutered.

Keep non-sterilized dogs and cats in heat indoors or under the complete control of the owner.

Roaming Animal Complaints

By-law Compliance and Enforcement Services will respond to complaints to pick up any animal roaming at large, if the animal is:

  • In distress, injured or ill
  • Causing damage or creating a nuisance
  • Showing signs of being lost