Greater Sudbury Utilities Inc. and Subsidiary Boards
This Board is currently accepting applications for a new Private Director. Applications must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, July 21, 2023.
The Greater Sudbury Utilities (GSU) Board governs the Corporation of Greater Sudbury Utilities Inc. and its subsidiary corporations:
- Greater Sudbury Hydro Inc.
- Greater Sudbury Hydro Plus Inc.
- Greater Sudbury Telecommunications Inc. operating as Agilis Networks.
- 1627596 Ontario Inc. operating as @Home Energy and
- Convergen Inc.
Greater Sudbury Hydro Inc. (GSH) is a subsidiary of Greater Sudbury Utilities Inc. As a regulated monopoly, it has a mandate to deliver electricity reliably and cost effectively within its licensed service territory.
The Board of Greater Sudbury Hydro Inc. governs one local distribution company and must be at least one-third independent from the GSU Board.
Greater Sudbury Utilities Board:
- The Board of the Corporation shall be comprised of seven individuals which includes three City directors and four independent directors, all appointed by Council. The City directors may include the Mayor or members of Council. The independent directors may not be members of Council, City employees or Corporation employees.
Greater Sudbury Hydro Inc. Board:
- Membership includes the three Council Members who sit on the GSU Board of Directors and four independent directors appointed by Council. Independent directors may not be members of Council, City employees, employees of the Corporation or directors on the GSU Board.
The GSU and GSH Boards are responsible for providing good corporate governance pursuant to the Ontario Business Corporations Act. The Boards are responsible for directing the management of the Corporations.
Directors are expected to attend quarterly board meetings as well as participate on one board committee that also meets four times per year. Additional ad hoc meetings and governance training activities may be required from time to time.