Residential garbage bag limit changing September 14, 2020
Aug 21, 2020
Effective September 14, 2020, the weekly residential garbage bag limit will return to one bag per household. The City of Greater Sudbury temporarily increased the limit to four bags on March 27 to assist residents during the provincial state of emergency. On June 8, the garbage bag limit was changed to two bags as part of a gradual return back to the one-bag limit.
The collection of Blue Box recycling, Green Cart organics, leaf and yard trimmings, and large furniture, appliances and electronics remains unlimited.
Please continue to place garbage in a secure, tied bag. Residents who use garbage containers must place tied bags inside the container. Garbage containers that contain loose or unbagged waste will not be collected. Recyclable items must be placed loosely in the Blue Box.
Landfill Sites, Household Hazardous Waste Depot and Recycling Centre
• The Sudbury, Azilda and Hanmer landfills are open Monday to Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to the end of September. In order to maintain physical distancing, access is limited and residents should be prepared for longer than usual wait times at all sites. The City has set up a live camera at the Sudbury landfill site so that residents can see how busy it is before they make the trip. Check out the live feed at www.greatersudbury.ca/landfill-livestream.
• The landfill reuse store and areas are open. Site users will be required to wear face coverings or masks during payment.
• The Household Hazardous Waste Depot is open on select Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 pm. The Depot will be open every Saturday during the months of September and October. Residents are reminded to deliver all hazardous waste in sealed and labelled containers, and to remain in their vehicles as the site attendants remove the hazardous waste from their vehicles.
• The Walden Small Vehicle Transfer Station is open Monday to Friday from noon to 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to the end of September.
• The front counter at the Recycling Centre is open Monday to Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. for purchase of backyard composters, kitchen collectors and Big Blues. Payment by credit or debit is encouraged. The Recycling Centre will not be distributing blue boxes or exchanging damaged green carts. Residents are asked to place an order on the Waste Wise app, online at www.greatersudbury.ca/wastewise, or by calling 311. Waste collection crews will deliver blue boxes and/or exchange damaged green carts directly at the roadside of the resident’s home.
The Waste Wise app is available on the Google Play or App Store by searching for “Greater Sudbury Waste Wise.” In addition to ordering a blue box or green cart, the app can also be used to receive pick-up day reminders, schedule large furniture, appliance or electronic item pickups, search the what-goes-where database, and more.
For the most up-to-date local information on COVID-19, visit the Public Health Sudbury & Districts website at www.phsd.ca/coronavirus.