City Council Approves Simplified Second Unit Process for Residents
Jul 13, 2016
For Immediate Release
Wednesday, July 13, 2016
City Council has approved new policies to provide residents with a simplified application process for the addition of second units in their homes.
“The second unit policies align with Council’s goal of developing more affordable housing options for residents of the community, particularly for our aging population,” said Greater Sudbury Mayor Brian Bigger. “Second units enhance the quality of life and place for residents by contributing to neighbourhood revitalization and diversification, and creating a greater mix of housing options across the city.”
Residents applying for the addition of second units to their dwellings will no longer be required to apply for a re-zoning of their property. Second units must still comply with Building and Fire Codes, and Zoning and Property Standards By-laws. They must also go through the necessary building permit application and approval processes.
“The City is committed, through its Official Plan, to building a greater city for residents,” said Jason Ferrigan, Director of Planning Services for the City of Greater Sudbury. “Creating a variety of housing options helps us meet the needs of current and future populations. With a simplified application and approval process, second units are now a more accessible option for homeowners.”
Second unit policies include certain conditions such as:
• Restriction of one second unit per lot
• Adequate servicing available (infrastructure)
• Not being located on, or adjacent to, hazard lands
• Not causing alterations to the main building exterior that would change the character of the existing neighbourhood
• Meeting all applicable requirements of the Zoning By-law, Building Code, Fire Code and Property Standards By-law
• Only permitted in detached, semi-detached, street townhouses and row houses, and ancillary structures.
Zoning By-law amendments include:
• No increase in lot coverage or building heights
• Minimum requirement of one parking space per unit.
A second unit is a self-contained unit consisting of a room or rooms in a single detached, semi-detached, rowhouse dwelling, street townhouse, or accessory buildings. The unit may be in any part of the house, not just the basement. A second unit has a separate means of entry, a kitchen, bathroom and sleeping facilities.
Please visit www.greatersudbury.ca/officialplan for more information on second units.