Step 1: Are you eligible to register as a third party?

An individual may register as a third party if they are one of the following persons or entities:

  • An individual who is normally resident in Ontario;
  • A corporation that carries on business in Ontario; or
  • A trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario.

The following persons and entities are not eligible to register as a third party:

  • A candidate whose nomination has been filed under section 33;
  • A federal political party registered under the Canada Elections Act or any other federal constituency association or registered candidate at a federal election endorsed by that party;
  • A provincial political party, constituency association, registered candidate or leadership contestant registered under the Election Finances Act; or
  • The Crown in right of Canada or Ontario, a municipality, or a local board.

It is the responsibility of the third party to determine whether or not they are eligible to register as a third party. The City of Greater Sudbury is not able to provide advice to those individuals, corporations, or trade unions who are proposing to register as a third party and encourages all potential third parties to review the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, as well as consult with their own independent legal counsel for more information with respect to third party eligibility, obligations and responsibilities.